Sign in to follow this  

Baja Bound in 7 days - give me your expert advice

I'm super pumped on the fact that I am one of 12 riders in competition for who can be last dressed for 7 mornings on the way down the Baja! October is an amazing month on the peninsula, second only to a blooming March/April after some rain for me.

It has been interesting as normally when getting ready for a ride I am working for weeks/months organizing but this time that's Tim and Jens issue. I'm sort of digging it but I am finding that being a rider on someones trip I do want to ask a bunch of questions and be THAT guy. In fact I have not even gone through my bags yet, maybe I'll wait until the day before?

Okay what I need from you, my Baja brothers, are the ideas/inside knowledge that really make your trips easier and more fun. I don't need a laundry list of what to bring, my problem in that department is that I'm trying to condense from 3 chase trucks to 1 gear bag and 1 riding back pack and tool belt.

For example, I have found that running my butt bag over my jacket vest is the only way I can keep that dang thing from sliding down.... I know with Baja Bound having the Hamster sweeping I may not need to carry a tool bag but I can't imagine leaving it in the trucks? Can I....

I have found that those cool Monster wrist sweat bands are great for going around my cell phone to protect the face. What tips do you guys have?

The not real 15x says to always ride wheelies past the police station and I know that Tim will really enjoy this aspect of having me on this Baja Bound trip.

I know some of the basics.... wait until right before we take off again to notice a flat tire, take my helmet off at every stop even if it's just for a minute, roost everyone when passing them on the trail (I will be the NRP of the trip) and of course I will ask how much further at least 6 times a day.

When Jen cashed the check I bet she had no idea what she was getting Teem into. :smashpc: I know some of you guys like the cute icons so I inserted that picture of me before this picture of Tim:banghead:

Braaappp

Edited by BoogersDad

Do's:

1) When Tim stops, hit the rear brake hard and skid past him as fast as you can, that way he can make sure you know how to use your brakes.

2) always make sure your right on Tim's tail, Tim likes to race (see #1, this helps skid past him at every stop)

3) Always ask, "How many more miles?" at every stop.

Don't:

1) carry water, Tim's the guide, he should carry that for you.

2) wear "Crocs", seriously

have fun, I'm jealous and bummed I won't be there. Guaranteed it's going to be beautiful!

Do's:

1) When Tim stops, hit the rear brake hard and skid past him as fast as you can, that way he can make sure you know how to use your brakes.

2) always make sure your right on Tim's tail, Tim likes to race (see #1, this helps skid past him at every stop)

3) Always ask, "How many more miles?" at every stop.

Don't:

1) carry water, Tim's the guide, he should carry that for you.

2) wear "Crocs", seriously

have fun, I'm jealous and bummed I won't be there. Guaranteed it's going to be beautiful!

These are really good tips. Strange though..... the REAL 15x is starting to sound like the impostor!

I need more come on, it's Baja, where all the good dirt?

Braaappp

PAB Tim said I didn't need to bring my fanny pack because his "Hamster" sweeper would be fixing the flats. I know the feeling, I've never ventured south without that dam thing sliding off my arss. I'm bringing it anyway but if it works out, I'll leave it in the truck.

Are you bringing your radio? I know how Teem loves to listen to everyone talk for hours on the radio. I heard our favorite Boat Dealer is coming along with his old Pumpkin, we'll have to discuss water skiing and politics at dinner one night.

See you next Thursday.

RAK

Sounds like a great stoke. Congrats.

For the rains, they are coming: The Otterbox 2000 Series for the smartphone

otr3-2000s-14-14.jpg

Lighten up your napsatchel with these handy saddlebags, the Majavi from Giant Loop. You can get a full hook up if you mention 15x's(a) and (:smashpc: in the same sentence. They also have some waterpfoof satch-membranes you can use to keep panties dry. (essential on any trip with Teem and his cronies) mojave-saddlebag-front_large.jpg

Saddlebags? I think that's what my wife has.....I hope she doesn't read this.

The only one I know who drills holes in their side plates for a "bag" is Tim and that's because he's taking care of us guys that like to have our bikes worked on by someone else when in Mexico.:smashpc:

Oh...

You don't drill any holes for this bitchen little quick release system that every hard core Baja dog will be running if we make it to 2013. Ultra light and they are off your bike in 60 sec.

I need more come on, it's Baja, where all the good dirt?

Tim will lead you to the good dirt. Just be sure to mark it with pink ribbon for the rest of us :smashpc:

Have fun boys. Sounds like it will be a fun trip.

1) Pre-run on a Honda, even if your racing a KTM...

2) Carry XR 650R main jets with you, trust me Tim knows...

3) Make sure Tim's racing partner out weighs him by at least 100lbs

4) Carry tons of big zip ties in case your front Bib keeps popping out.

5) If a TT team stops to help you repeatedly re-insert your front Bib into your tire that has a broken bead, smile for their camera's...

6) If after the 10th time stopping to help you, if it's midnight, and if they offer to load up the ailing 650 in their pre-runner and bring you into Loreto, take it!

PS: Travel light, but prep the bike well ahead of time and most of all have fun!!!

2x

GPS everything, make sure to exclaim every morning how you cant wait to share all the new trails you discovered........

@ Rhino.... yeah last shortcourse weekend sucked

@ DD..... Teem loves my GPS and I will be recording everything and will send to the lady that does all the trail maps.... I'll even throw in the new one that Jesse, Teem and I know no one has ridden.

@ New Mexican.... Epic night, good times

@ RAK and Scotty - Saddle bags are LAME

@RAK - I will have a radio or two with me, we run weatherman? Tim is a pretty good radio user, better kisser but we'll leave that alone

@ Scotty - I want the phone case, do they also make one for a sat phone?

@ Baja Taxi - is this a joke because we tell people we won't help them change a Maxxis?

My set up......

Front Dunlop MX71 80/100 (epic grip) with a mousse (sometimes we use the MX51)

Rear Dunlop 739 110/100 with a Bridgestone Super Heavy Duty tube

15/47 gearing

Hammerhead brake and shifter - Don't try my bike you will not like the rear brake height

JCR built secret sauce motor

Nicoll suspension

Ape hangers - yeah my bars are taller than all of yours, High Windham Renthal (998) and a 2 inch riser for the under bar Scotts stabilizer

My reflective tape set up is pretty factory....sick

Make sure Tim let's you do at least a short leg or two at night. Then open up a couple of those light sticks and dribble the sauce all over you. When you meet back up with the group, tell them you fell in one of those puke green ponds you see every now and then and watch 'em all scatter.

Keep the bar open late, be bartender if necessary, demand a 9ish start-good idea to check tires around 8-830, put breakfast request of oat meal and greentea outside the room door should be covered, sounds like a blast:thumbsup oh yeah make sure everyone has extra flashlights and try to get pictures at most every stop:banana:

PS-Don't believe the small gear bag crap!

Use Tims satelite phone to text message.

Spread the group out, and then lead three or four of them down a different trail, Tim loves that.

Roost the lunch spread.

First water crossing, lay your bike down in it.

At every rest stop lead the group in the chorus of the "Pina Colada" song, again Tim loves that.

No matter where you are, tell Tim you've been there before on a ride with Mike Kay.

Always try and hide the chase truck keys whenever you can.

Put the baldest rear tire you can find on your bike.

Only fill your gas tank halfway whenever possible.

Pretend to find interesting rocks at every stop, ask Tim or the sweep rider to carry them for you.

I'm super pumped on the fact that I am one of 12 riders in competition for who can be last dressed for 7 mornings on the way down the Baja! October is an amazing month on the peninsula, second only to a blooming March/April after some rain for me.

It has been interesting as normally when getting ready for a ride I am working for weeks/months organizing but this time that's Tim and Jens issue. I'm sort of digging it but I am finding that being a rider on someones trip I do want to ask a bunch of questions and be THAT guy. In fact I have not even gone through my bags yet, maybe I'll wait until the day before?

Okay what I need from you, my Baja brothers, are the ideas/inside knowledge that really make your trips easier and more fun. I don't need a laundry list of what to bring, my problem in that department is that I'm trying to condense from 3 chase trucks to 1 gear bag and 1 riding back pack and tool belt.

For example, I have found that running my butt bag over my jacket vest is the only way I can keep that dang thing from sliding down.... I know with Baja Bound having the Hamster sweeping I may not need to carry a tool bag but I can't imagine leaving it in the trucks? Can I....

I have found that those cool Monster wrist sweat bands are great for going around my cell phone to protect the face. What tips do you guys have?

The not real 15x says to always ride wheelies past the police station and I know that Tim will really enjoy this aspect of having me on this Baja Bound trip.

I know some of the basics.... wait until right before we take off again to notice a flat tire, take my helmet off at every stop even if it's just for a minute, roost everyone when passing them on the trail (I will be the NRP of the trip) and of course I will ask how much further at least 6 times a day.

When Jen cashed the check I bet she had no idea what she was getting Teem into. :smashpc: I know some of you guys like the cute icons so I inserted that picture of me before this picture of Tim:banghead:

Braaappp

Are you on the Oct 6th to 14th trip? If so I organized the ride and all my "bros" backed out but one! If this is your trip, look forward to riding with ya!

Greg