Sign in to follow this  

Differences in jet kits??

What are the differences in the jet kits available out there? If everything is the same what difference in the instructions? Local Suzuki Dealer sold me a Moose Dynajet kit, but the printed directions were jacked so I had the dealer set it up for me. Even after the dealer worked on it, I'm still not happy. The altitude above sea level is 211 to 275 feet (64 to 84 meters). My current setup is:

Supertrap IDS2 12 discs

K&N with DryCharger Pre-filter

"Omitted" White Spacer on needle

Clip on the forth groove on the needle

155 Jet

New 42 1/2 Idle Jet

Top of airbox cut open, a few holes in airbox door(previously already hacked)

Fuel Mixture 2 1/2 turns out

I can't comment on the different jet kits available, but my set-up is as follows on the DR650:

FMF Powercore 4 Muffler

FMF Powerbomb Header

Air Box Mod.

K&N Filter

170 jet

Needle set on 3rd groove

Fuel Mixture Screw 1 1/4 turns out

It took several attempts / trials to end up where I am currently, and I'm very satisfied with the results. The DR is now averaging between 46-50 mpg around town (spirited).

I ride at or near sea level.

Mercenario27,

Try going down to 10 or 9 or even 8 discs in your pipe.

I found that I liked 8 for all around power and 12 or 14 was really just good for top end.

All the bottom end torque went away with 14 discs.

My setup is not exactly the same, but that is what I experienced with the supertrapp pipe.

Dave

2.5 turns out is pretty rich on the fuel mixture screw. I think that is most of your problem. I would also try a 160 on your main jet.

All but the Factory Pro kit are basic copies of the DJ kit. IMO the kit Procycle sells is the best of DJ style (open up your air box and let the engine breathe) kits. It addresses the very dismal set-up for holding the needle in position properly that DJ uses which also reduces the chance of a slide spring bind situation which would just add to the BST's existing propensity for surging.

Use Jesse at kinetec.com, they specialize in Dr bikes

I was asking for the differences in the jet kits. not a plug for Kinetec.

You'd have to ask whomever is selling them. My experience has been that you can do better price-wise if you do a little research before you buy. For instance, your current carb is a #42.5/155 and you're one clip up from stock (making it slightly leaner), it idles perfectly, runs ok, but the plug is coming out black so you're still too rich. Buy a 150 main for $6-12, put the needle back to stock and forget the $40 kit. At the end of the day, buy a decent case of beer and come out with head, err... ahead.

Read this too: http://articles.superhunky.com/4/55 while it's specific to Mikuni Round Slides, the overall concepts and theory is the same to just about any carb from a chainsaw to a Holley.

Edited by Smacaroni