Sign in to follow this  

Help with new bike choice.

Hi guys. I figured that this is the best forum to help me decide on a new ride. I currently ride a 2006 TE450 that I bought new. I now have 3,400 miles on it and I'm thinking it's time for something new.

I've had great luck with the bike and I'm confortable and fast over roots, rocks etc. However, nasty hill climbs have always killed me. I always wanted a lighter bike. When I get stuck going up hill, it sucks picking the bike up and getting restarted up hill.

My closest Husky dealer is 3 1/2 hours from where I ride. I'm happy having something different, but would like to have a closer dealer, even though I do most of my own work.

I have KTM, Husaberg and all Japanese dealers close to me.

I recently bought a TM 300 2 stroke as a back up bike. I LOVE the light weight, but the ergos are so different from the Husky (high footpegs and cramped bars).

I'm looking for a fuel injected, lighter weight (than '06 TE450), preferrable road legal bike that can haul my 6'1 (220lb) frame around with similar ergos to my current TE450.

I've been considering the TE310 and KTM 350 XC. I like the closer ratio trannys.

Ideas????

Thanks,

Conte

Between the two listed I like the TE310. KTM has had issues in the past with clogging injectors. This was fixed however some still have had problems. I also was told that the 2012 KTM350EXC-F has been tamed and softer suspension vs. the 2011 models. Price is $1000+ more for the KTM and you don't get any real performance. Flip side the 2011 TE310 had spotty EFI settings, starter and sensor issues. These are supposed to been corrected but no comfirmed reports of 2012 rides. EFI can be fixed with either Ibeat or EFI controllers and should be added to the OTD price. I am shopping for my new bike for the spring. I would like to stay with EFI but not a big factor for me if I don't.

My bike list is

TE310

Beta 350RS

KTM350EXC-F

Are the newer 450s lighter than my '06? On paper, they seem the same. How about the feel when riding?

I'm guessing theirs not a huge difference between the two 450's. However, the difference between the new 310 and all older 450's is huge- on paper and especially in feel.

The 310 feels a good bit lighter than the KTM 350 and Beta 350. Get the 310 and put a JD tuner on it and enjoy.

The 310 feels a good bit lighter than the KTM 350 and Beta 350. Get the 310 and put a JD tuner on it and enjoy.

+1 :smashpc: