Sign in to follow this  

2012 250SX @ 30 hours ride time...

So after 30 hours on the bike I have noticed a few things....

The Bad...

1. Rear brakes. I smoked through a set of pads in about 22 hours.

2. Plastic. Starting to notice some "white spots" on the orange plastic as signs of weakening.

3. Seat. Starting to sack out.

4. Losing pipe springs at an alarming rate. I have lost around 6 or 7 now. ***!

5. Rear sprocket bolts. I have snapped one off. Every bolt was loose at 10 hours and again at 20 hours and again at 30 hours. I even red lock tited them.

6. Head bearings. Needed grease bad. Make sure you hit them up.

7. Swing arm pivot nut. Back almost completly out. MAKE SURE TO CHECK THIS!

8. Shifter. Keeps bending with me just shifting. Shifting isn't as smooth as other 2-strokes I have ridden. I will be looking at getting an aftermarket one soon.

The Good...

1. Motor is extremely tight still! Runs amazing...

2. Chain and sprockets are still good!

3. Clutch...awesome!

4. Suspension...I have it dialed. :smashpc:

5. 5mm risers are the best thing for this bike (handlebar risers)

6. Frame, Swingarm, linkage bearings...tight and new still.

7. Rims...not a wobble.

8. Did I mention the MOTOR is still running as strong as the day I bought it!!!

I will update as I ride more...riding season is slowing down a bit in the Northern Territories...but I will still have some riding time before the snow fly's!

• Like 1

I had a small tip over and notice the weakening of the plastic. Where is this damage on your bike?

Haven't lost any pipe springs yet.

Definitely will be checking the points you have listed.

How did you first bend the shifter? If it was only shifting that is odd.

The plastic is on the shrouds and front fender. The bike has only hit the ground once in a corner..slow motion tip over.

Shifter is very confusing to me...it keeps bending "in" towards the motor. I have had to rebend it twice now to straighten it. Nothing has ever hit the shifter...

Regardless of the little things (that most bikes have) the bike has been great.

I even hole shotted 15 other Vet-pros last weekend at a race...almost everyone (except 2 guys) were on 450's...

Good update Ill have to keep a eye open on a few things I see.

Thanks again for the update.

I have a white dot on the shroud from the outer top side of the raditor. I missed a rut and just basically sat down on my butt. I thought this was a Yamaha blue plastic issue.

I'm going to retorque my bolts before the Mill Creek mx race this weekend. Curious to see if I have the same loose bolts.

The motor really is a thing of beauty.

What are your current suspension settings?

That is awesome to hear. My father in law had a 1995 sx250 that went through 2 seasons of himselft and 2 sons racing. All he had to replace was piston,rings,chain,and sprockets. KTM makes a good product.

The 2011 and up KTMs are definitely not of the same quality as the older KTMs. The product itself works better but looking at many components it's clear they were trying to save some money. The new wheels are the largest disappointment.

I have a white dot on the shroud from the outer top side of the raditor. I missed a rut and just basically sat down on my butt. I thought this was a Yamaha blue plastic issue.

I'm going to retorque my bolts before the Mill Creek mx race this weekend. Curious to see if I have the same loose bolts.

The motor really is a thing of beauty.

What are your current suspension settings?

Right now I am running about 105mm sag with 1.5 turns out on high speed and 15 clicks out on low speed. Rebound anywhere from 12-15 clicks out depending on traction.

Forks I am running 9-10 out on compression...and around 10 out on rebound.

My bike has had the suspension re-valved, so these settings may not work for you if your stuff is still stock.

what wheels come on the newer models?

Excels...they have been rock solid for me. Just keep your spokes tight!:smashpc:

Right now I am running about 105mm sag with 1.5 turns out on high speed and 15 clicks out on low speed. Rebound anywhere from 12-15 clicks out depending on traction.

Forks I am running 9-10 out on compression...and around 10 out on rebound.

My bike has had the suspension re-valved, so these settings may not work for you if your stuff is still stock.

Local tuner? Improved areas? Was it stack and oil changes or did he change components too?

Local tuner...he increased pre-load on the forks and changed the stacks and oil height. The rear was just a different stack...but not much different at all in the rear. He put in a stiffer high speed compression spring to help keep the bike up in its stroke...

Sounds like most of your issues are maitenance related,check your bolts everytime you wash your bike.As for sprocket bolts either your not torquing them properly or your not cleaning the bolts before applying new threadlock.I have not had any loose bolts yet,hope you have better luck soon.:smashpc:

Sounds like most of your issues are maitenance related,check your bolts everytime you wash your bike.As for sprocket bolts either your not torquing them properly or your not cleaning the bolts before applying new threadlock.I have not had any loose bolts yet,hope you have better luck soon.:smashpc:

How do you figure its a maintenance issue? Sacked out seat? Springs popping off the pipe? Wearing out of break pads? Lock tighting sprocket bolts (even though I have never done this before on any other bike) 👍

Remember righty tighty lefty loosey. Also, when you're putting springs on the pipe it helps to have at least some tension in the spring. 👍:smashpc:

How do you figure its a maintenance issue? Sacked out seat? Springs popping off the pipe? Wearing out of break pads? Lock tighting sprocket bolts (even though I have never done this before on any other bike) :smashpc:

Seat-stand up more or loose weight

Springs-dont buy cheap ones

Brake pads-keep you foot on the peg instead of covering the brake or ride with better momentum instead of overiding and jamming on the brakes.LOL:bonk: Oh and read your manual or the package about locktight on sprocket bolts.

Just kidding:p

about the weight thing.

hehe.. never heared of springs poping out on the pipe.

oh yeah, older KTMs? from 03 and up, thed been doing good motor already. i can outrun my 01 Cr250 when it comes to acceleration. both have different power delivery.