Sign in to follow this  

300 XCW for light dual sport use?

I think I've decided to just sell my current two-stroke (woods modified yz250) and get a 300 XCW to cover all my bases rather than keep the YZ and get a 450XCW in addition. Storing and maintaining one do-it-all bike is likely a better solution than a two bike setup for me at the moment. So how well does the 300 work for some dual sport use? I'm not talking about anything too crazy, but what kind of realistic range am I really looking at on some mixed 55mph, 45mph, and gravel road type of riding? Do you guys just take some oil that is metered out in some fashion if you need to get some gas at a gas station? Give me the good and bad of using the 300 in this manner if you would..

I really wish I had the new 6spd when I have to go on the road above 45mph. Also, I've been warned to warm it up more than my WR250.

I have had 2 KTM 200 and a 400 with plates and 6 friends with KTM 300 with plates. The 4 strokes make better dual sports. We just carry bottle of oil and guess how much is needed in the tank when filling up at a gas station.

I do the same, I carry a botle of oil. One tank of gas is enough for around 60 miles - depnds on riding stile ofcourse.

Guess it's not very good huh? ..heh.

With the 5spd it's passable for connecting trails. The 2011 and up have a wide ratio 6spd that should allow mellow cruising up to 65mph.

You can always gear it to the moon! but will obviously sacrifice in the tight stuff. I will probably throw my dual sport gear back on mine to get my plate (back) in january, thanks WA state gov, but it will be more just to have it. i never used my 300 as a dual sport much as it is, but i agree the 6 speed wide ratio on the new models would help tho if your going to do it.

On the open road (50mph+) the 4strokes use much less fuel and seem to cruise a bit easier. The 300 is tough to keep at a steady speed - always speeding up or having to roll off. I haven't messed with the jetting on mine yet, though. I'm looking at the Slavens mod since he claims a noticeable fuel consumption improvement.

As for oil, KTM has a graduated plastic bottle with markings for the different ratios - I always carry that - and a liter of premixed fuel, just in case...