Sign in to follow this  

Expansion Chamber First Aid

I posted this in another area here and got 0 responses so i thought i'd try you guys because you seem to always be pretty helpful.

Does anyone know a good place to get expansion chambers repaired? I have found 2 places but they are both on the west coast and the shipping costs almost as much as the service itself, I live in wisconsin and anywhere closer would be nice.

in the end if i have to ship it to cali i will, but thought i'd check around first. what i've found so far is $50 for the repair and $30 shipping (both ways). either way $80 is still alot less than the $230 to buy a new pipe.

What's wrong with it? If it's a crack or dent I would think a competent welder/fabricator would be able to help you out.

What kind of issues are you haveing, if its gotta be welded find somebody that can tig weld, if its just dented up you can do that yourself with a couple plugs a schrader valve, some air and a torch

Edited by yathump

Dents are pretty easy to deal with with heat and air. It won't look new, and really big ones can take multiple attempts and still really never fully come out. You can go as far as drilling a hole, pulling the dent out, and welding back up the hole. It's when your pipe is bent that it can be hard to straighten out properly. I use heat and force here but sometimes it can be pretty hard to bring the pipe back into proper position.

With my kind of riding 2 stroke pipe's take a beating so I always have a few on hand so you can swap out while you fix another.

sorry i guess i should've added a little more info.....

it's just got a few dents in it, nothing major, but with the winter coming i though it would be a good time to get the dents out so that it will be ready to go next spring. the biggest dents are the size of a silver dollar or maybe just a tad bigger. and there are only about 3-4 dents. all in all it's in good shape but like i said, if it's not going to be ridden all winter i might as well get her prettied up for next year.

After reading that process, that seems easy enough to do and, to be honest, sounds like it would be a fun project.

and for $30 for a propane torch and $3 worth of parts, i'm looking to save almost $50.

Thanks for all the info, you guys just saved me a bunch of cash and gave me something to do on a boring snowy day this winter.

I have done the torch method and it does indeed work. But, the pipe will not come out looking new.

I had a pipe that was MANGLED and I sent it to pacific crest pipe repair in Oregon. About 80 bucks and a week later my pipe came back looking BRAND NEW!

If you have some small dents and like to do projects like this I totally suggest you Try it, it's fun.

But, if your pipe is really mangled, like REALLy bad..... Pacific crest pipe repair will blow your mind.

Just make sure you use some caution the plugs have been known to blowout, some people safety wire them so if they do blow they don't fly.

Just make sure you use some caution the plugs have been known to blowout, some people safety wire them so if they do blow they don't fly.

X2

I bail wire the ends and still don't use more than 20psi.

How do you add the wire? Wrap one end around the end of the pipe and one around the bolt on the plug? Or maybe start around the pipe then up and around the bolt then back down around the pipe on the other side to lock it completely down?

Schraeder valve end the wire gets wrapped around the plug/ schraedrer and attached to the bolt hole on the pipe. Header side I actually have a steel cap a machinist friend made me that has 2 studs to wrap wire to each coresponding spring loop on the pipe. I should take a pic of my setup for you.....