Sign in to follow this  

Alberta How To Make A Dirt Bike Street Legal

I am wondering what it would take to get a dirt bike road legal in Alberta.

What hoops do I have to jump trough.

Has anyone done it?

XR250SMps%20(Small).jpg

Don't even think about man. The frames are sent from the manufacture with new serial numbers designating that "this bike" is a road legal bike. These bikes come with a frame that is inspected by MOT and the. They allow the bike to be registered. They come wih DOT approved lights, blinkers, mirrors etc etc. Then when you buy "this bike" from a dealer, it is registered and sold as a on road bike. There is no bike built that is written as a on/off road bike. It is a either a on road bike or a off road, not both. Even if two bikes like a drz 400 are the exact same, one is registered, inpected, and sold as on road and the other is not. Now here is the tricky part. Yes, you can buy a Baja Designs dual sport kit, get it inspected and pass (you have to go to Canadian Tire for ALL inspections). You can then go to your insurance corp and insure your bike and ride around and no one would be the wiser. But, then you get hit, or worse yet, you hit someone and cause some major damage or worse yet some physical harm. There will be legal action from their insurance company and you will be required to submit you bike for inspection. They will notice your headlight isn't DOT approved, neither are your blinkers, you don't have a proper ignition system and then finally, ou bike doesn't have the correct serial numbers in it that designate it as a on road bike. Now you have just been busted as ridin your dirtbike around illegally on the road. The only reason to got it on the road is through falsified information. Your insurance won't cover you and now your royally ****ed! I know this because I tried. I lived in Calgary. Go to any custom harpy shop or even canadian tire and ask them. Some Canadian tires have a few harleys sitting there that guys have won or bought down in the states but can't insure them here. It isn't worth he risk. Buy a street legal bike and then make it more dirt oriented, it's a much safer route.

Most bikes on the road are not legal from what you say. A lot of bikes have after market LED signal light and tail lights. My buddy has a BMX450x and it was legal off the line but now it is full LED and rally light on the front. Are you saying that if he gets hit hit coverage will be revoked?

I am not being a troll I am trying to understand.

I own a DRZ400S and beat the heck of it off road and now I want a bike that can keep up. The DRZ is heavy and under powered for the riding I do. I Beta 450RS would be nice but at $10g plus its a little rich for my blood

Me and my buddies ride from are homes to all the trails around town and would like to keep doing that.

317216_10150828137415232_733985231_21264787_2097037902_n.jpg

No worries. I mean a 08 YZ 250 2t is not road legal from the factory. His bike and yours came from the factory street legal and was sold as a street legal motorcycle. You can modify them all you want but you can get a ticket for having the led tail light because it is not DOT approved. I mean if you insure a YZ 250 and something happens, they will find out the it is not a approved on road motorcycle and then your insurance will not cover you. All the crfs, yzfs, rmzs and kxf motocross bike on the road you see are not actually street legal. Though they can meet all the requirements from a aftermarket kit.

Lets say I buy an 09 CRF450X and put a full DOT approved kit on the bike. Lights, horn the works and get it insured your saying I will not be covered if I get in a crash?

Lets say I buy an 09 CRF450X and put a full DOT approved kit on the bike. Lights, horn the works and get it insured your saying I will not be covered if I get in a crash?

YES, thats exactly what im saying! Go walk into any dealer and ask. If the bike is not sold as a road legal motorcycle from the factory(example..your drz400s) then it is considered an off road motorcycle. You can buy any kit you would like but its not the kits, its the frame. A 09 CRF450x doesnt not have an approved frame for on highway use (I know, its stupid, seeing how all 3 models of DRZ400's have the exact same frame). You can make it road legal, you can TRY to get it approved at Canadian Tire(any U-built, out of country has to be done by them, there is no other option), if it passes (it wont) then you can go to your insurance company and register and insure your bike as a on road bike. Sounds perfect right? If you get into an accident, they will run your motorcycles serial number through a database of bikes that were sold as "legal" on road bikes and it will come up with nothing, it will show that your bike was orginally sold as a off road model only, then your insurance company will not cover you and then your ****ed. Yes, I see a few bikes here and there but they take a tremendous risk when doing it. You can do it, its possible but its not "technically" legal. I spent probably close to 100hrs researching this. I wanted to do the same thing. Also, there is NO, I repeat, NO canadian legal DOT kit sold in Canada. You can go buy yourself an american kit but they are not legally approved in Canada!

Nope, Transport Canada is federal. Though it might be easier in sask or manitoba! Canadian tire is and will always be the hardest to get through. I did go to a custom harley shop and they could build frames that were street legal and even build one exactly as my 450. I never did ask how much though.

I think it would be cheaper if you just bought say, a WR250 road legal frame and fitted whatever engine you wanted in it etc...

Sometimes I think that health care is the only good thing about living in Canada. :smashpc: