1st ride on the '12 Kawi....My initial thoughts

My initial thoughts (Coming off a CRF):

-This is a 'bigger' bike, and its tall.

-My front end was a little unpredictable (Yes I have the suspension re-done), although from what Im reading it could be a stock tire issue as well.

-I Love jumping this bike, it feels sold and very predictable in the air.

-Great Power

Now I'm going to break it down and re-grease everything (that I should of done off the bat).

My initial thoughts (Coming off a CRF):

-This is a 'bigger' bike, and its tall.

-My front end was a little unpredictable (Yes I have the suspension re-done), although from what Im reading it could be a stock tire issue as well.

-I Love jumping this bike, it feels sold and very predictable in the air.

-Great Power

Now I'm going to break it down and re-grease everything (that I should of done off the bat).

I agree...the crf450 feels like a pitbike compared to the new kawi ! :smashpc:....and most other brands aswell !

I am still running with the stock suspension, and have no Unpredictability on the front end in any conditions.

Not running stock tyres however. maybe there could be something with tyres

You saying you've run the suspension in, checked tyre pressure, but not yet adjusted the fork damper clickers? With current KYB forks, on medium or hard dirt surfaces, there will usually be a narrow range on the rebound clickers that makes the front feel planted. Pull off the track, adjust, ride/feel, and if doing laps it's pretty easy to find the right setting. The comp clickers are not usually so sensitive, but still there will be a comp clicker range that gives best traction. If seeking a planted front, I'd also double check the fork tubes are parallel and axle is square, so no binding is going on.

On video, watching RV#2 ride his new 2012 around Unadilla in moto 2 was simply amazing. When everyone was hunting for traction he was just ripping at insane speed. Same frame, swingarm and engine mounts as you've got. :smashpc:

They are still using that crappy dunlop d742f right? That tire is a mass production tire thats only available on OEM bikes. Its a junk tire and should be replaced asap.

2012's are using the Bridgestone M403 and 404 combo, ran them on my Yamaha for a couple seasons and overall they are pretty good. Suspension setup will factor into traction for sure and of course track soil type is even bigger, no tire is going to work perfectly in all conditions.

Yeah, suspension is run in around 5 hrs on the clock now. running a new dunlop 756 at 14psi on the front.

Also running a GPR V-4 streering damper.

As for clickers, have not touched any thing other than 3 clicks up on compression on the forks. and am happy with it. It is booked in for suspension revalve work in November.

You are saying that it feels big. Do you mean tall by that? I am 6'3 so a tall bike is what I am looking for.

The OP stated that it was a bigger feeling bike. KX's always been known to be bigger feeling and tall. But with them going slimmer, I was hoping it might make it feel smaller and lighter like most of the reports from people and the first ride reports from the mag's. If your tall it will be good I would think. I already got mine and getting everything done on it. Iam coming off a CRF450 and Iam 5'7 165. O well Ill just use technique and figure out how to throw it around. I took a gamble while deployed and bought mine and I may be getting something I was hoping it wasent.

The OP stated that it was a bigger feeling bike. KX's always been known to be bigger feeling and tall. But with them going slimmer, I was hoping it might make it feel smaller and lighter like most of the reports from people and the first ride reports from the mag's. If your tall it will be good I would think. I already got mine and getting everything done on it. Iam coming off a CRF450 and Iam 5'7 165. O well Ill just use technique and figure out how to throw it around. I took a gamble while deployed and bought mine and I may be getting something I was hoping it wasent.

J. I'm 5'11. The bike is 'taller.' You will love the bike!

You saying you've run the suspension in, checked tyre pressure, but not yet adjusted the fork damper clickers? With current KYB forks, on medium or hard dirt surfaces, there will usually be a narrow range on the rebound clickers that makes the front feel planted. Pull off the track, adjust, ride/feel, and if doing laps it's pretty easy to find the right setting. The comp clickers are not usually so sensitive, but still there will be a comp clicker range that gives best traction. If seeking a planted front, I'd also double check the fork tubes are parallel and axle is square, so no binding is going on.

On video, watching RV#2 ride his new 2012 around Unadilla in moto 2 was simply amazing. When everyone was hunting for traction he was just ripping at insane speed. Same frame, swingarm and engine mounts as you've got. :smashpc:

If I recall when I was at Unidilla, one of the Kawi guys said the engine is an 2010 450

If I recall when I was at Unidilla, one of the Kawi guys said the engine is an 2010 450

Interesting. RV's engine could be based on anything. Maybe it started as the 2010 engine, which would make sense, but I'd be surprised if there is much stock about it besides the cases, cylinder and head castings as per the AMA rules. http://www.amaproracing.com/assets/AMAPro-MX-2011-Rules.pdf In some of this year's starts, it's awesome to watch when the whole pack gets half way down the straight, and the two Ryan's click 3rd then launch forward.

In a pulpmx interview, RV told Matthes that his team mechanics put all his existing "2011 bike" components on a 2012 frame. Plus they used 2012 plastic. I'm not sure about the swing arm, but my guess is that's the 2012 part. I think RV said something about himself feeling less beat up on the new frame.

In a post race interview, Wiemer talked to Matthes about the team testing the 2012 bike/frame compared to the 2011, and I cannot remember his words to be able to quote him, but he spoke about it being much more compliant in the rear. I commited to memory that Wiemer meant more longitudinal flex in the rear. Maybe Kawi softened things up at the 2012 top shock mount, and/or in the cross member where the link pull rods attach. I think Weimer also spoke about the headstem region being a bit stiffer, but my memory aint too clear about it. For sure every rider in the team thought the 2012 frame was way better, so everyone considered it to be a low risk change.

Watching all the gopro HD clips from Unadilla, I thought that track looked difficult. But RV#2 was hammering it at insane speeds. Especially moto 2. Unbelievable. RD#1 was also ripping. :smashpc:?

I thought the 2012 had adjustable footpeg mounts for midgets?

LOL. Yeah midgets or giants. Which ever way you want to look at it.

Comparing the feel earlier 06-10 KX450Fs vs 09-10 CRFs, I think midgets should certainly go for the CRF. Much easier to move the lighter bike around under you. Assuming the CRF has the front/rear balance fixed up. I've not ridden the '12 Kawi. I'm sure it's better feeling, but we know it's the same weight as the 2010-11.

yeah the bikes a "big Deal", it won the 2011 outdoor championshiop. i'm 5'10'' and I do NOt think the bike is big, I think its amazing. I prefer the kawi over CRF.

O man does it really feel that big. Thats what I did not want!!!! Iam also coming off a CRF 450.