Sign in to follow this  

RK GB520MXU Chain?

I was wondering how many of you run this chain and how long it lasts before it needs to be replaced. Is it pretty strong or would i get longer life out of a RK GB520EXW? Bike is a 2005 CRF250R

Can't compare it to the GB520EXU, but I've had the MXU on my bike for over a year. No issues yet. I've only had to adjust it once and that was after first ride (initial stretch).

My RK520MXU has 25.1 Hours on it now and is showing some wear. It is starting to get some side to side movement in it but its not all that bad.

I say it will probably last at the least another 10 hours of riding. The 25.1 hours that is on it now is from a whole season of mx racing this year which was 16 rounds of 2 classes + practicing when there wasn't a race.Also I have only had to adjust mine one time and that was after I put it on and about a couple rides at the track.

It has been a good chain I must say. Also the GB520EXW you are talking about,I believe it is 8500lbs of tensile strength and the MXU is 9000lbs.

I would get the MXU just cause of that. I couldn't find any info other than the tensile strength between the MXU and EXW. I guess they are the same other than the tensile strength.

BTW all RK chains are Gold Plated MXZ,MXU,EXW except for the standard ones

The MXU has a 9000 lb. tensile strength with a wear life index rated at 600. Max cc for offroad:500.:smashpc:

The EXW has a 8500 lb. tensile strength with a wear life index rated at 1000.

Max cc for offroad:750. 👍

So would it be better to get rid of the 500 lbs. of tensile strength for the better wear life index? And will it need a countershaft spacer?

I dont know if you should even bother getting a chain for anything bigger than what you are riding. Just get the chain that is recommended for the size and cc you have.

IMO I would just get a O-ring chain for your 250 and not bother with chains that are rated for a 500cc or a 750cc. They are rated that way so that horse power will not break the chain. I wouldnt get a 428 that is for a 125 and use it on a 450 or vice versa. I just go with what is recommended for my bike.

Well, I'm getting it in a kit with a supersprox stealth rear sprocket(which i hear last an extremely long time), so i want to get a chain that will last the entire life of the sprocket.