Sign in to follow this  

94 250L choke knob sliding in by itself

Hey guys,

My 94 250L has the choke knob up by the instrument cluster, not something on the carb. It has started this thing where I'll pull it all the way out, start the bike, and it slowly slides back in. It used to do it a little bit, but only when you opened the throttle and it wasn't very dramatic. Now it does it just sitting there and will almost close all the way with one good WOT. Is this normal? It's almost like there's a spring somewhere that's worn out or something (I don't have a manual). I've never attempted to lube it or anything. Anyone else have an experience with this? The bike has almost 10,000 miles on it.

Thanks.

Could it be some wear at the plastic piece?, I dont think this is such an issue when you could just hold the nob:excuseme:

Could it be some wear at the plastic piece?, I dont think this is such an issue when you could just hold the nob:excuseme:

I can't hold it while i'm riding to warm it up! lol

My 1991 Honda XR250L had a locking upper section on the choke knob assembly; clockwise to lock and cc to unlock. To me, that indicates that there is a compressible rubber donut inside and perhaps yours is worn out.

no kidding.... well i'm going to check that out tomorrow and let you know what I find. If that's the case hopefully I won't have to replace the whole cable and everything.

My 1991 Honda XR250L had a locking upper section on the choke knob assembly; clockwise to lock and cc to unlock.

interesting

just sold my 91 250L

and have the same clutch cable on my LC

no lock, no indication it should/could be turned to lock

That jogs my memory that I've had bikes (or my XRL way back when) that did that.

Check that the cable to the carb didn't get snagged on something, taking up the normal slack. Or see if there is adjustment at all.

If no to either of those, I'd lube it.

Don't lube it, personally I won't lube my cables. I removed mine when I changed to a mikuni, as I remember there is a plastic nut at the top under the pull knob. Try tightening it to put more friction on the choke knob shaft. Also you can rejet so that you won't need the choke at all. I rarely ever use the choke on my mikuni. My 94 250l was sitting for the last 5 months, just rolled it out and kicked it over in 5 kicks no choke.

hey guys, that worked!! Turned the rubber boot below the knob clockwise and it tightened up. I don't know how I used to fix stuff before internet forums lol.