Sign in to follow this  

Can't fix exahaust leak on my 84 IT200

The leak is from case to pipe, I have tried all kinds of exhaust goops and othe crap. My springs are strong and I have a fresh exhaust gasket in there (which isn't more than a .5 of mm thick of spring steel or stainless) what can I do to fix this permanently? and not cost me a shhht load of money?

On my old YZ490 I used a peratex copper high heat silicone, but you have to let it set up and cure for a day.

The pipe to cylinder is not supposed to seal tight. If it did it would crack the one of the pieces.

I think your asking about oil oozing from the pipe. You have too much of a oil to gas mixture. Too much oil in the gas. I'm betting your silencer is full of oil too, not good. I run 50 to 1 or less.

You won't be able to seal that junction for very long, it will come loose again because the pipe is just held on with springs and rubber mounts so it can vibrate and move around some. If it was supposed to be real tight it would have a bolt on flange like a 4 stroke.

actually if you knew the bike at all you would know that there is no rubber involved whatsoever and you can run a 2 stroke at 20:1 without ooze or excess smoke IF your bike is jetted properly..... if you are gonna offer advice please make it accurate ....thanks ......btw the silencer is clean... know before you speak or type

I use Permatex Ultra Copper on my IT175D, IT175E, IT175J, IT400C, IT425G, IT465J and IT490L.

You need to make sure that the surfaces are clean and oil free to get a good bond.

As yet I have'nt found anything better.

Oh, and I run all the IT's at 20:1 fuel / oil ratio so I can run standard jetting.

Dave R

thanks Dave ..... That is what I am talking about .... someone who knows his shit before he opens his mouth.....btw I run 20:1 also and haven't had any problems fouling plugs or splooge (except where the exhaust is leaking) slooge is just fuel that hasn't been burnt off because of the leak......if you knew anything at all Arthur about 2 strokes these are things know simply as common sense....it might be time to change that to un-common sense thanks to all the ignorant people out there..... I'm just throwing it out there

Edited by kevenkillkeven

actually if you knew the bike at all you would know that there is no rubber involved whatsoever and you can run a 2 stroke at 20:1 without ooze or excess smoke IF your bike is jetted properly..... if you are gonna offer advice please make it accurate ....thanks ......btw the silencer is clean... know before you speak or type

Not wanting to be a disturber,but every IT200 I have ever seen has exhaust springs and rubber damped mounts...???

Chill out keven, its just an exhaust leak on a motorcycle. Have you tried the permatex ultra copper yet. No need to bash on people that might be trying to help:moon:

well i have yet to see any rubber and my pipe isn't bent ....it fits just fine

m pipe fits just fine to and it is bent and the rubber mount is right at the big bulge and bend on your expansion chamber it isnt all rubber but there should be a good chunk of it, i believe its used as some sort of a shock absorber incase you fall on the pipe or for less vibration maybe