Sign in to follow this  

expensive engine noise: anything to do before teardown?

Motor is making howling noise at any RPM just a tad above idle. Fairly loud, it comes and goes in a sine pattern a few times a second (depending on RPM). Maybe a spun bearing? It is an '05 that has about 50 hours on it (barn find, got it last year and it was barely used). Supermoto and road track use so I'm not too surprised. It still starts first kick as normal and makes good power.

About to pull and tear it down, wondering if there's anything that I can check/test additionally before that? I got the CCT released and put back in so it's not a too tight CCT. No particles in oil, both sides, level is normal. Howling sound doesn't depend on clutch engagement, only RPM.

I would double-check the transmission oil level first. If it's too low the howling is coming from the kickstarter engagement gear.

I would double-check the transmission oil level first. If it's too low the howling is coming from the kickstarter engagement gear.

Ohhh that's a thread of hope I'm going to hang on to, thanks! :smashpc:

Nah, wasn't trans oil. It howls maybe a little less with transmission full of oil but still loud and clear something's not right.

I plan to poke around with a stethoscope a little to maybe see if I can at least tell approximately where it's coming from. Or just yank the head and cylinder and side covers and see what's there.

Thanks for the post! After wading through some BS there's some food for thought for me there.

Follow-up: it was the crank bearing. The outer race looked like someone poured some acid on it. Replaced the crank, bearing, piston while I was at it, all good now. Finally!

BSA5815-XL.jpg Edited by dakh