Sign in to follow this  

out of country bike sales? helppp

soo pretty much this kids from canada and i live in maine. its like a 6 hour drive, and he wants to buy my bike. he doesnt want me to ship it or anything, he said he's going to come pick it up. i guess he doesnt need a title to get it over the border and is going to email me a form that i have to fill out and get back to him so he can send it to the border or something? and he also needs a bill of sale, before he buys it. but he wants me to put will receive payment on pickup and then when he pays he wants me to write a new one that says paid in fulll. sorry if none of that makes sense, but does this sound legit? has anyone ever sold a bike in the states to a guy from a different country?

I have bought a car in the states and imported it to Canada. I also have friends who have bought bikes in the US recently to import them to save money. Its been a while since I've gone through the process, but here's the website with the step by step instructions for a Canadian to import a vehicle from the US: http://www.riv.ca/

As long as he's asking you to follow the guidelines from the site above you should be fine :smashpc:

He needs to supply the USA boarder he will be exporting the bike across with the vin # 72 hours before he intends to export the bike from the usa. On his way back to canada he needs to stop at the us boarder with the title if it has one, or with a bill of sale so they can register the bike as being exported. Once that is done he goes across to the Canadian boarder, when he arrives there, he will pay HST tax on the value on the bill of sale, and he will have to convince the border that the vehicle is not street legal, so he does not have to pay the RIV fee. That's all.

He needs to supply the USA boarder he will be exporting the bike across with the vin # 72 hours before he intends to export the bike from the usa. On his way back to canada he needs to stop at the us boarder with the title if it has one, or with a bill of sale so they can register the bike as being exported. Once that is done he goes across to the Canadian boarder, when he arrives there, he will pay HST tax on the value on the bill of sale, and he will have to convince the border that the vehicle is not street legal, so he does not have to pay the RIV fee. That's all.

Dam HST!

For me, I do not want to supply information to a out of country seller especially as identify theft and other issues can arise and you may have little recourse across the border.

So if someone wants your bike, fine. Have them come and buy it. You sign over the title and provide a bill of sale showing the amount you sold it for. If the buyer has to jump through hoops to cross the border with it, that is their problem, not yours.

I sold a bike to a guy from Canada once. It was a klx110. He bought it with us cash all 100's. I did not have a title he was cool with that. When he crossed back into canada customs held it until he could get a title. It took over 2 weeks for me to apply for a title and then get it and a few more days for me to get it to him. I would tell him this up front so he isnt pissed latter. Either way it was not my fault but i felt bad for his son that got a new bike then could not take it home.

For me, I do not want to supply information to a out of country seller especially as identify theft and other issues can arise and you may have little recourse across the border.

So if someone wants your bike, fine. Have them come and buy it. You sign over the title and provide a bill of sale showing the amount you sold it for. If the buyer has to jump through hoops to cross the border with it, that is their problem, not yours.

What information to you think the buyer is requesting? Its not like he is asking for his social insurance number or anything..

He should be able to complete the required paper work. You just need to supply the VIN, make model etc. All you need to do is write a reciept and write a bill of sale.

In fact when I import bikes and sleds into Canada i do not even send the paper work to the US boarder. It is not a requirement to import the bike into Canada. If you don't give the US customs the info 72 hrs before hand you may have trouble bringing the bike back into the US.

I live in Ontario and I've bought three bikes in New York state over the past year. If the bike is designed for closed competition it is exempt from RIV. A reciept is all you need to get it across the border and you do not need anything sent to customs in advance.

I sold a bike to a guy from Ontario a few years ago.

I gave him a bill of sale and the NY state title. He gave me $2700 in cash.

He loaded up the bike, and headed for the border. I never heard from him again so I'm guessing it went ok.

I don't know why you'd need to do more than that.

I sold a bike to a guy from Ontario a few years ago.

I gave him a bill of sale and the NY state title. He gave me $2700 in cash.

He loaded up the bike, and headed for the border. I never heard from him again so I'm guessing it went ok.

I don't know why you'd need to do more than that.

i guess the only reason i have to fill out that form is because it doesnt have a title.

I'd only supply data AFTER the cash is your hand.

Being you do not have a title, giving him the VIN only (by telephone only - get to know him) to enable him to confirm it probably does not have lien and is probably not stolen. But that is all. Bill of sale comes AFTER the purchase.

The buyer fills out that customs form AFTER the sale.

I'd only supply data AFTER the cash is your hand.

Being you do not have a title, giving him the VIN only (by telephone only - get to know him) to enable him to confirm it probably does not have lien and is probably not stolen. But that is all. Bill of sale comes AFTER the purchase.

The buyer fills out that customs form AFTER the sale.

yeah man, makes sense. i decided to wait for someone in the states to buy it

i guess the only reason i have to fill out that form is because it doesnt have a title.

Sigh...

The reason you have to fill it out is so that he can notify the border that the vehicle is leaving the US permanently. It gives the border 72hrs to check the VIN and verify it's not stolen and there are no liens on it. That's all. They are PROTECTING the lawful owner, or the bank that could potentially need to repo it.

It's your bike, and it's your call, but having bought 2 cars from the US last year I find it frustrating when somebody in the States won't deal with me. We're getting SCREWED on prices up here for everything so we shop down there. You guys economy is in the tank and you have lots of things to sell. Seems like we could be helping each other out...

Go on eBay. They post the VIN of almost every car for sale on there. As in you can copy the VIN down.

Here's the VIN for a $700,000 Ferrari: ZFFMN34A5M0089336

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Legendary-1991-Ferrari-F40-Twin-Turbo-5-Speed-/280745419906?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item415dbb2482#ht_9945wt_961

Think he's losing sleep? :smashpc:

I don't exactly understand what you think somebody is going to do with your VIN? I had the VIN for my Corvette long before I ever actually spoke to the seller. Send the guy the VIN, and give him his bill of sale when he pays you. Or don't. Your call, but pretty sad if you have a guy wanting to buy it, and willing to drive 6 hours to pick it up, and you won't sell it to him.

I told him he could give the VIN, provided the potential buyer supplies a traceabler telephone number. The buyer can do a title search to his heart content. If he confirms the bike appears 'cleanly owned' then buy the bike, fill out the paper work and go across the border. It is not the sellers responsibility nor should he take the risk. If a person supplies too much information, identiy theft can occur or the thief can claim ownership. Sadly, unless you know a person, you have to be very wary.

I once sold a sport bike to a West Point Cadet (senior) Hi C.O. drove him to my house, both in uniform. Both had documents to prove who they were. When we spoe on the phone, West Point showed on the caller ID. We (and he insisted too) that we immediately get insurance in his name and transfer the title and get temp registration to protect me from responsibility. He inspected the bike, gave me the cash, test rode on my 1/2 mile ling drive way. Then the three of us went to an insurance agent then DMV. He called me a week later to let me know how happy he was with the bike and was glad we were so honest with each other and the legal system. 110% stand up guy. Probably a General by now.

Point is, the seller has to prove himself, the seller should not take risk.

Sigh...

The reason you have to fill it out is so that he can notify the border that the vehicle is leaving the US permanently. It gives the border 72hrs to check the VIN and verify it's not stolen and there are no liens on it. That's all. They are PROTECTING the lawful owner, or the bank that could potentially need to repo it.

It's your bike, and it's your call, but having bought 2 cars from the US last year I find it frustrating when somebody in the States won't deal with me. We're getting SCREWED on prices up here for everything so we shop down there. You guys economy is in the tank and you have lots of things to sell. Seems like we could be helping each other out...

Go on eBay. They post the VIN of almost every car for sale on there. As in you can copy the VIN down.

Here's the VIN for a $700,000 Ferrari: ZFFMN34A5M0089336

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Legendary-1991-Ferrari-F40-Twin-Turbo-5-Speed-/280745419906?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item415dbb2482#ht_9945wt_961

Think he's losing sleep? :smashpc:

I don't exactly understand what you think somebody is going to do with your VIN? I had the VIN for my Corvette long before I ever actually spoke to the seller. Send the guy the VIN, and give him his bill of sale when he pays you. Or don't. Your call, but pretty sad if you have a guy wanting to buy it, and willing to drive 6 hours to pick it up, and you won't sell it to him.

If he just wanted the vin i'd be fine with that, but he wants me to fill out like 3 forms. and he wants a bill of sale before he buys it. And on top of that he needs them all before he even crosses the border because apparently the border or customs or whoever is running that show needs atleast 72 hours to review the documents. the paperwork and forms are the only thing stopping me, i couldnt careless about the whole vin number situation. it just seems sketchy the more i think about it.

I was on the opposite end of this question. I bought my KX from a wholesaler in Canada, and had it shipped here. Once in my possession, I attempted to title it. The DMV made it into such a tedious and ridiculous process that I finally just gave up. I have all the paperwork from the original purchase, including the import papers, to prove it's mine, and that's all that I care about.