Sign in to follow this  

Winning the war on spooge, slowly

My 02 250 used to drool all the way down the silencer and drip on the swing arm in one ride. First i switched to Lucas from Super M and the drool only made part way down the silencer and no drips. Then i set the squish and it only made to just off of the end cap. today with the JD kit, white needle, clip in the second groove, there was only one little drip that just barely made about 1/2 from the opening. Plus it is running great :smashpc:

i think you need to work on jetting rather than changing oil brands. not saying that couldnt have a factor but i believe most of your spooge issue is a rich condition in your jetting. id keep fine tuning the JD kit.

oil is deffinitly not an issue. only reson it spooges less is because lucas is a thin oil as super M is thick. you can mix the super M at a higher ratio and still acheave the same lubrication as the lucas oil at a normal ratio.

not saying lucas is a bad oil. they are well planted in the oil game and know what they are doing.

^ for 7.99 for fmf 2 stroke packing and about 10-15 minutes I replace mine every 20-40 hrs. My bike is tuned great with no issues but I notice after 20+ hours I'll get a little drip out of the pipe, and worse every ride after that till I repack it.

Fresh silencer packing will soak up lots of spooge before you see the excess come out of the silencer

I noticed the Lucas left alot less spooge and the PO of my bike was praising it. I have a couple pints of HP2 waiting for me to test

That is awesome. Congratulations! :smashpc:

I dislike spooge. It is caused by improper engine temperatures. Riding tight woods makes it hard to obtain correct temperature. Jetting no doubt helps but these bikes are designed to run hard on a MX track. Spark arrestors make it even worse.

SHRUBITUP:

I'm sure that's right. I have about 9 hours of GOPRO video last trip to the UP and I was loading up the poor bike in midrange half of the time and trying to clean it out on the occasional flat straight trail. 32:1 with lucas oil there

Someone asked my ratio, i am running 40:1 with 1/2 Sunco 110 leaded and 1/2 Ca pump premium. i was running fairly tight trees today. i also run a turbine core II, they have the cyclonic spark arrestor that slings particles to the side. Including oil. So running a no SA silencer it is alot easier to spit the spooge out the pipe than my TQII.

Someone asked my ratio, i am running 40:1 with 1/2 Sunco 110 leaded and 1/2 Ca pump premium. i was running fairly tight trees today. i also run a turbine core II, they have the cyclonic spark arrestor that slings particles to the side. Including oil. So running a no SA silencer it is alot easier to spit the spooge out the pipe than my TQII.

I've found that the EGT cools so much by the time it hits the S/A it will condense upon it rather than simply leaving the bike as a vapor. :smashpc:

I put temp stickers on my radiators a while ago. Today in the woods i was running at about 140 F. I am thinking about putting one of the KTM thermostats in my coolant line, (or aftermarket or possibly make my own). Makes sense that a motor would run cleaner at a constant 170-180

I put temp stickers on my radiators a while ago. Today in the woods i was running at about 140 F. I am thinking about putting one of the KTM thermostats in my coolant line, (or aftermarket or possibly make my own). Makes sense that a motor would run cleaner at a constant 170-180

I would not base your theory that the coolant temps are 140 by a little sticker on the OUTSIDE of your radiator.

The air flowing over the sticker will convect heat away, leaving you with a less than realistic temperature reading.

I would not base your theory that the coolant temps are 140 by a little sticker on the OUTSIDE of your radiator.

The air flowing over the sticker will convect heat away, leaving you with a less than realistic temperature reading.

+1 put a thermometer on your cylinder :smashpc: