Sign in to follow this  

Bent in subframe how do I fix it?

I bent my subframe pretty bad on my 2008 crf 450r when i crashed into my friends quad while we were racing. the right side of the subframe is bent to the left so far every time i hit a bump my tire rubs up against the muffler. It's bent in about 5 inches or so. How do I fix the subframe or bend it back without cracking it or having to buy a new subframe? Please get back to me ASAP. Thanks.

crash in another quad but in the opposite direction! more seriously you could remove the airbox, number plate and fender, then pry it until it looks straight. I still think you should buy a used subframe to replace this one, they are not that expensive.

you could remove the airbox, number plate and fender, then pry it until it looks straight.

That works well. Take everything off the subframe, install it back on the bike and pry it straight. My neighbor has a stick of 3/4" rebar that's about 6' long. It's the best tool I've used for prying subframes straight.

I bent in the RIGHT side of my subframe where the muffler is mounted on to about an inch to 2 inches to the LEFT when i crashed into my friend's quad while we were racing. I already tried putting the bike on it's side and pulling up on the bent side but it wouldn't move a bit. What do I do?? Please Help!

That works well. Take everything off the subframe, install it back on the bike and pry it straight. My neighbor has a stick of 3/4" rebar that's about 6' long. It's the best tool I've used for prying subframes straight.

Over exaggerated a bit it's only bent in to the left about 2 inches its the right side that's bent. I took the seat side panels and rear fender off but not the airbox, i also took out the bolts that hold the muffler and where the sub frame connects to the frame on the right side. And i tried putting the bike on its side and standing on the rear wheel and frame and tried pulling up to straighten it out but it didnt budge. And could you show me a picture of what you mean by prying it?

Keep the plastic on and lay the bike over. Stand on the sub frame and jump a bit to get it straight. This could be temporary until you get one from ebay

Once again the muffler side is bent IN to the left not OUT. So jumping on it wouldnt help. Unless Ièm not understanding you correctly. Show me a picture of what you mean.

So only one side is bent? If thats the case then look on ebay for a used one

Be aware that ACRacing subframes fit poorly. Do some research on it.

OEM subframes are a dime a dozen on fleabay...

So only one side is bent? If thats the case then look on ebay for a used one

Yes, it's bent to the left about 2 inches and down slightly on the right side. But i can't afford to buy a new subframe. So i need to bend back this one.

I cant afford to buy a new subframe. so i need to bend back this one. the right side of the frame is bent 2 inches to the left and about 1 inch down.

I cant afford to buy a new subframe. so i need to bend back this one. the right side of the frame is bent 2 inches to the left and about 1 inch down.

You shouldn't EVER straighten a structural aluminum part. It WILL fail when you stress it.

The AC Racing subframes are a cheap alternative but i agree with F350JOHN they do not have the best fit and finish. If you can find an OEM replacement go that route. MotionPro makes a sub frame straightening tool but i think you can rig something up on your own, a piece of round steel stock and some angle iron can do the job. But it will be a temporary fix.

Remove the subframe and put it in a vise and try to clamp it so it straightens out. Try hitting it with a hammer. Try heating it with a torch and tapping it lightly with a hammer. Lastly buy a new subframe.

I bent my subframe on my 2002 cr250r and was able to take a long steel bar and pry it back straight with the seat off.

You don't want to pry it too far though otherwise you'll weaken the aluminum.

Your best and safest bet is going to be to find a straight used on on ebay or just spend the money and get a new one.

Your subframe supports all your body weight when you're sitting so you don't want to take a chance of the metal breaking because you bent it to far and created a weak spot