Sign in to follow this  

wheel bearing spacers ?

my wheel bearing spacers are gouged (rear) better than 1/32" (almost 1mm). should i build them up with jbweld/belzona and slick the surface up really good or just wait forever for some spacers to be made by one of my machinist buds ?

oh, new wheel bearings are on the shelf, no sense replacing them with the spacers shot... ya dig ?

I dig. I wouldn't do it either. When I re-laced my rear wheel I did seals too, and pressed stainless collars over the stock spacers that I turned down. I then turned and burnished the stainless collars to stock dimensions. Tell your machinist buds to do that. Wait.... am I your machinist bud? :smashpc:

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

Slapped about 4k miles on these little guys with no visible or measurable wear. The seal area looks shinier than the rest. That's all.

well of course you are ! lol

the shop i worked at before i got smarter owes me favors... i'll call this one in i think :smashpc:

4 options..

1: SS spacers, machined from bar stock.. Honestly, the easiest solution if you have access to a lathe.

2: Hybrid SS/ OEM Aluminum spacer, good wear resistance, but lower weight than all SS if that matters to you on a 300+ LB bike

3: OEM spacer, with a very thin steel sleeve (made from a Speedi-Sleeve shaft repair part) With this you get light weight and a SS wear surface. The OD of the finished spacer will be a few thousands larger then OEM, but the seal has pleasant of flex to allow this.

4: Repair the OEM spacer with a cold cure metal replacement product, then finish and polish to size.

JB Weld and I do not get along.. so I used option 1 and 3 with good success.

Option two is something I’ll make a set from, when I get home, just to do it.

Edited by E.Marquez

+1

Yeah I meant to say that. Screw Jizzle Bizzle weld. I dislike. :smashpc: It is especially bad at doing the things it is advertised to do. It's okay at other things.