Sign in to follow this  

2012 250SX or SXF? Or....CRF?

Hey guys so I have a question for you.

As you can see in my sig. I have a 2007 KTM 125SX and a 2008 KTM 250SXF.

Well actually, I sold my 125 today and got an offer for my 250. It's a pretty good offer and I think I might sell the 250 as well.

This leaves me bikeless, which is okay for now because I am done riding at the moment due to school and the winter coming up. I race 250C and am pretty competitive in the class. Consistent top 5. I am not a super fast rider, but I feel like I am a decent rider.

So I have thought about maybe moving to a 2012 250SXF since I am already familiar with KTM and the 250F. I love my '08, and the '12 can only be that much better, right? I could be on a '12 250SXF within a month, but won't be riding it much at all.

But, then there is the 2012 250SX. I am familiar with 2 strokes as well, but have never ridden a 250 2-Stroke. This bike seems like the bike to have and has awesome reviews. My dealer said they could get me one by spring time which would be fine by me.

And then...there is the 2012 CRF250R that is supposed to be an awesome bike.

So, I guess what I am asking you guys, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I am unsure which bike to go for. I love the KTM's but the CRF got awesome reviews, and so did the 250SX. Help!

As for prices:

2012 250SXF $7100

2012 250SX $6900

2012 CRF250R $6900

To me, it would be a matter of what you can afford to have. Usually, funds are short when in school, but sounds like money isn't as much an issue if you are considering a new bike.

The SX is a sweet bike, but good luck finding a new one. I would choose that bike over ANY 250F ANY day of the week. Ride one for a bit and the 250F will feel like a boat anchor, or it's dragging one. LOL

Lighter, quicker, easier to maintain, on and on and on...

The only 4 stroke I would consider other than the SX would be a 350, and that won't work in your class. That is a very nice bike.

I know you say you aren't that fast, but around here, you just about have to have B speed to finish top 5, so it sounds like you are pretty good if the situation is similar.

What type of riding do you do?

To me, it would be a matter of what you can afford to have. Usually, funds are short when in school, but sounds like money isn't as much an issue if you are considering a new bike.

The SX is a sweet bike, but good luck finding a new one. I would choose that bike over ANY 250F ANY day of the week. Ride one for a bit and the 250F will feel like a boat anchor, or it's dragging one. LOL

Lighter, quicker, easier to maintain, on and on and on...

The only 4 stroke I would consider other than the SX would be a 350, and that won't work in your class. That is a very nice bike.

I know you say you aren't that fast, but around here, you just about have to have B speed to finish top 5, so it sounds like you are pretty good if the situation is similar.

What type of riding do you do?

I ride about 90% MX track. Occasionally rip around a field with friends. Yeah the 250SX will not be available until around spring time, which I can handle the wait. The money is not that much of an issue because I am getting a fairly good amount for my 08, and made out well on my 07. So this would be the time to get a new bike.

I ride about 90% MX track. Occasionally rip around a field with friends. Yeah the 250SX will not be available until around spring time, which I can handle the wait. The money is not that much of an issue because I am getting a fairly good amount for my 08, and made out well on my 07. So this would be the time to get a new bike.

what about day to day expenses the bikes have? One of the reasons I stay on a 2 stroke is the simplicity and lack of expense, or possible expense the bike brings. I can't and won't maintain a 4 stroke. If that is not an issue, then :smashpc:

what about day to day expenses the bikes have? One of the reasons I stay on a 2 stroke is the simplicity and lack of expense, or possible expense the bike brings. I can't and won't maintain a 4 stroke. If that is not an issue, then :smashpc:

I hear ya on that! I did triple the maintenance on my 250F than I ever had to do on my 125.

If you don't mind the wait get the 250sx. I was one of the first to order and they ended up not being able to get me a bike! If it were me, I'd go for the 350 which blows both bikes out of the water...race open C!

If you don't mind the wait get the 250sx. I was one of the first to order and they ended up not being able to get me a bike! If it were me, I'd go for the 350 which blows both bikes out of the water...race open C!

Then I am only limited to racing one class!

I would also go put money down on the 250 SX two-stroke and just wait for Spring.

This is not even a fair fight...The 250sx is a superior race bike to any 250F in just about every conceivable aspect. Of the bikes you listed, its...

1. Least expensive to purchase

2. Lightest

3. Far more powerful

4. Simple and inexpensive to maintain

5. Can be raced in any 250 or higher class

6. and is way more fun to ride

Possibly the only advantage of a 250F is if you raced primarily on very hard pack surfaces which would make the 250F easier to race with to manage traction

So in summary, order that 250sx :-)

This is not even a fair fight...The 250sx is a superior race bike to any 250F in just about every conceivable aspect. Of the bikes you listed, its...

1. Least expensive to purchase

2. Lightest

3. Far more powerful

4. Simple and inexpensive to maintain

5. Can be raced in any 250 or higher class

6. and is way more fun to ride

Possibly the only advantage of a 250F is if you raced primarily on very hard pack surfaces which would make the 250F easier to race with to manage traction

So in summary, order that 250sx :-)

I agree with you, the only thing that does suck is my home track is ALWAYS hard packed, except for race day, but even then it is pretty bad by 2nd moto.

350sx blow away a 2012 250sx 50hp with gd riders on both mmm lol believe in the four stroke hype guys,well go on dudes im reading

I would also go put money down on the 250 SX two-stroke and just wait for Spring.

Yes---put the money down NOW and get a firm commitment that they will be able to get you a 250 SX because as I understand it, those bikes will be long gone by the time the snow melts. Not sure which dealer you're going with but I'm in central WI and chose Larsons in the Twin Cities over Southeast Sales in Chippewa Falls because Larson's price on the '12 250 XC was WAY BETTER--better to begin with and NO extra charges (freight, shipping)

Fly wheel weight...it will feel like a tractor.

Have you unplugged the wire and installed the green spring with the valve turned in?

It feels just like an old RMX250. Crazy how adjustable this motor is even without a flywheel weight.

Yes---put the money down NOW and get a firm commitment that they will be able to get you a 250 SX because as I understand it, those bikes will be long gone by the time the snow melts. Not sure which dealer you're going with but I'm in central WI and chose Larsons in the Twin Cities over Southeast Sales in Chippewa Falls because Larson's price on the '12 250 XC was WAY BETTER--better to begin with and NO extra charges (freight, shipping)

Motosports Factory in Waukesha, WI.

Have you unplugged the wire and installed the green spring with the valve turned in?

It feels just like an old RMX250. Crazy how adjustable this motor is even without a flywheel weight.

Are flywheel weights good for racing? Never really thought about it.

Come on... you come to a two stroke forum and ask a question which is better 2 or 4???? you should know better :smashpc:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fun factor... I'm never going to be a professional racer... I ride bike for the grin factor.... Nothing gives me the grin factor like a 2 stroke bike. I agree with the others, get the 250sx... you will be so happy you did.

KTM's are amazing as how the bike can be adjusted to suit your riding style and conditions. 👍 It takes all of 5 min to switch power valve springs, and there there's the infinite adjustability of the power valve settings to get the power to your sweet spot. Add a mapping switch, and you have on the fly adjustment...

There is no question in my mind as to where I'd be spending my money (that is if I had any :busted:)

Motosports Factory in Waukesha, WI.

Are flywheel weights good for racing? Never really thought about it.

Traction is good for racing. If you have a hard time finding the traction either because of throttle control, terrain, or the power curve of the motor a flywheel weight will benefit you. There are some magazines that have test riders swearing by a 9oz flywheel weight on a YZ250. I would like to try a slightly heaver flywheel on my KTM250, but haven't had time to test all the different springs, power valve adjusts, or the second ignition map. The KTM250SX motor is extremely tunable.

I have been lucky enough to ride a handfull of 2011 250SX's and just loved the bike's,i have been racing a 2006 KTM 200xc in a Hare Scramble serie's and this is the year im gonna buy a new KTM.I put $$ down on a 2012 KTM 250sx a couple week's ago,Dealer say's early January delivery!!!To say im stoked would be the understatement of the century!!!OH,NOT a easy bike to find either.