Sign in to follow this  

2012 250SX or SXF? Or....CRF?

Hey guys so I have a question for you.

As you can see in my sig. I have a 2007 KTM 125SX and a 2008 KTM 250SXF.

Well actually, I sold my 125 today and got an offer for my 250. It's a pretty good offer and I think I might sell the 250 as well.

This leaves me bikeless, which is okay for now because I am done riding at the moment due to school and the winter coming up. I race 250C and am pretty competitive in the class. Consistent top 5. I am not a super fast rider, but I feel like I am a decent rider.

So I have thought about maybe moving to a 2012 250SXF since I am already familiar with KTM and the 250F. I love my '08, and the '12 can only be that much better, right? I could be on a '12 250SXF within a month, but won't be riding it much at all.

But, then there is the 2012 250SX. I am familiar with 2 strokes as well, but have never ridden a 250 2-Stroke. This bike seems like the bike to have and has awesome reviews. My dealer said they could get me one by spring time which would be fine by me.

And then...there is the 2012 CRF250R that is supposed to be an awesome bike.

So, I guess what I am asking you guys, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I am unsure which bike to go for. I love the KTM's but the CRF got awesome reviews, and so did the 250SX. Help!

As for prices:

2012 250SXF $7100

2012 250SX $6900

2012 CRF250R $6900

I recently got a 12 250sxf and cant fault it. tonnes of power and great parts. and the push button start......nuff said!

I have a '12 CRF250R with one 2:10 hare scramble. I'm a Honda guy, always have been, probably always will be, but I seriously considered the KTM 350EXC. I didn't realize the 250SXF was going to get electric start, or it would have also been considered. I have had the opportunity to ride older model KTM 250 SXFs and was always impressed with the power, but I never was completely comfortable with the handling and the suspension and the seat. The new CRF250R finally has a motor that generates great power across the entire power band and should be very competitive with the KTM and Kawasaki 250Fs, and the handling and suspension finally gets me back to what I liked best about my 2009. I really like the size, shape, and firmness of the Honda seats... probably because I sit down way too much!

One great thing about the KTMs is they have great original equipment controls, wheels, tires, are super thin between the knees, and the switch to a linked rear suspension a few years back helps keep the rear end planted better. I even like the new graphics much better than a few years back

I'm gonna state what a lot of folks already know - All current MX bikes can be ridden competitively - IF you are a competitive rider. The bike, all by itself, will not make you a winner, but a bike that you feel comfortable with will make you push to go faster.

The KTM is about $300 more (new list price) than the Honda: a minimal difference up front. Either bike can be raced straight off the showroom floor (after proper break-in, of course) honda replacement parts are a bit less expensive, and from my experience and discussions with other riders, Hondas are generally a bit more reliable in the long run and seem to have a bit higher resale when it comes time to part company.

So it may just boil down to: "What is your favorite color?" For me, I like red, but orange is 50% red... right?

I have a '12 CRF250R with one 2:10 hare scramble. I'm a Honda guy, always have been, probably always will be, but I seriously considered the KTM 350EXC. I didn't realize the 250SXF was going to get electric start, or it would have also been considered. I have had the opportunity to ride older model KTM 250 SXFs and was always impressed with the power, but I never was completely comfortable with the handling and the suspension and the seat. The new CRF250R finally has a motor that generates great power across the entire power band and should be very competitive with the KTM and Kawasaki 250Fs, and the handling and suspension finally gets me back to what I liked best about my 2009. I really like the size, shape, and firmness of the Honda seats... probably because I sit down way too much!

One great thing about the KTMs is they have great original equipment controls, wheels, tires, are super thin between the knees, and the switch to a linked rear suspension a few years back helps keep the rear end planted better. I even like the new graphics much better than a few years back

I'm gonna state what a lot of folks already know - All current MX bikes can be ridden competitively - IF you are a competitive rider. The bike, all by itself, will not make you a winner, but a bike that you feel comfortable with will make you push to go faster.

The KTM is about $300 more (new list price) than the Honda: a minimal difference up front. Either bike can be raced straight off the showroom floor (after proper break-in, of course) honda replacement parts are a bit less expensive, and from my experience and discussions with other riders, Hondas are generally a bit more reliable in the long run and seem to have a bit higher resale when it comes time to part company.

So it may just boil down to: "What is your favorite color?" For me, I like red, but orange is 50% red... right?

Thank you! You've got a good point.

I think if it were to come down between the 250F's I would go Red. Now it's just whether or not I want that 2-Stroke or not..!

Such a hard choice. :smashpc: