Sign in to follow this  

What bike 250 2 stroke 250f or 125

Hey guys i'm going into my 3rd year riding this spring and i plan on racing harescrambles for my first year what bike should i get... i'm 5 foot 10 130 lbs and im coming off ttr 125l put put bike. 250f or 250 two stroke or 125? I ride a lot of single track and sandy spots

Can I vote none of the above? 200 2 stroke, ftw. KTM or Gas Gas if you can swing it, kdx if you're on a budget. The 200's seem to be the sweet spot for scrambles.

I would go 2 stroke as well, 125/150 or 200. 250 might seem like to much specially coming off a 125 trailbike

The 200 is certainly a good choice, but might be a little hard to find. I have successfully raced HSs on a 125, but it's often easier on a 250 smoker. Some things to consider in making your choice:

1. How tight are the courses/riding areas? A 125 can FLY through the woods, but it is very frustrating to spend a lot of effort passing guys on bigger bikes in the woods, only to have them blow by you on an open section of trail simply because they have more power.

2. At your weight, 125 suspension will probably be about perfect. You will probably need some suspension work to get a 25o smoker dialed.

3. A 250 smoker is a huge jump from a playbike, BUT, a throttle cam (e.g., the G2 system) can make it much easier to control. And it you find a KTM 250, they have an easily adjustable powervalve.

4. In my opinion, 250fs are too slow and expensive to maintain under HS conditions, and 450s are just too much bike for woods riding.

5. Don't worry about brands if you are looking at smokers. Everything made in the last decade can easily be turned into an awesome "woods weapon" with a little tuning. Buy on condition and price.

I gonna have to recommend a 200-250cc 2 stroke as well. KTM or GasGas would be the perfect bike, or a KDX if you wanna save some money...still very capable bike. Im partial to GasGas after riding many KTM's but have a good dealer close that stocks almost everything. Had a KDX i loved but the KTM or GasGas allows room advancement. A YZ250 is a good cheap easy to find bike but not as ideal as the KTM's or GasGas's in the woods. But can be made to work. Also another vote against a 250f, yea lots of people on 4 strokes these days but the 250f's are grenades, too many friends switched back to 250 2 strokes after their 250f's blew. Plus every 250f i ever rode felt so weak...not much fun at all.