Sign in to follow this  

Starting Harescrambles next year

Get in shape, cut your bars down to be under 30" including handguards, cycra probend handguards, skidplate, rad guards, good tires with UHD tubes. Depending on the length of the race, you may need an oversized tank. If you want to really compete/be competitive you at least need your spring rate correct. Complete revalve would be great but not necessary.

If you are just doing it to have fun, then hand guards/skid plate/ narrow bars.

Get in shape, cut your bars down to be under 30" including handguards, cycra probend handguards, skidplate, rad guards, good tires with UHD tubes. Depending on the length of the race, you may need an oversized tank. If you want to really compete/be competitive you at least need your spring rate correct. Complete revalve would be great but not necessary.

If you are just doing it to have fun, then hand guards/skid plate/ narrow bars.

Get in shape is a very vague term.. You have to be in "RIDING" shape.. I've seen people that can do extremely well in trialathons and bike, run, swim, anything for a long time.. Yes, they own a dirtbike and all but get them on a hare scramble or offroad endurance race and he can't last 1/2 the race.. Racing will use muscles you never knew you had.. :smashpc:

Time will tell you what helps.

BIggest thing is to stay hydrated.

Get super familar with the race organizations general setup of previous tracks

Pace yourself and I repeat pace yourself. Your adrenaline will be pumping on the starting line and you will forget to breathe and drink your water while riding.

Biggest thing is to have fun and enjoy the first couple two. You won't get a full ride factory sponsorship after your first race I'm sure, so y go balls out and chance wrecking and breaking a bone or two..

Let me elaborate on the get in shape statement. Cardio is what will make or break you in a race. A C2 rowing machine is probably one of the best all around tools for getting in riding shape, without riding.

Core muscles are what will make you money during a race, standing is faster than sitting (not trying to argue, but I'm always faster standing during a race) but uses A LOT more muscles. Check out Jason Raines on u tube for some good exercises. Low weights, high reps. The medicine ball workouts are awesome and they will break it off in you if you are aggressive with them. There is a lot of information in the health and fitness section of TT also.

Hydration, for most hare scrambles water is fine as long as you have prepared yourself prior to starting. You should start hydrating the Tuesday before a race, drink as much water as you can stand during the week. Keep the sodas to a minimum, stay away from heavily sugared drinks. Most energy drinks are NOT the best way to get energy either. What works for me is I start eating bananas on Thursday night, and have one with each meal until race morning. On race day I eat two at breakfast with a plain toasted bagel (for carbs), and another bagel within 30 minutes of the start. I use camelback elixir (the non caffienated ones, berry is best tasting to me) in my starting line bottle. I also use elixir in my flashflo camelback for the race. I've experimented with other products and this one works best for me. G-ade is way too sugary and sucks IMO. I do use the powerade zero as an after race rehydration along with a muscle milk, just because it tastes good.

I am by no means a certified trainer, but I know what works for me and have helped a few other people with exercises and fitness. Good luck and have fun, and remember winning is always more fun than losing because of something you could prevent.