Sign in to follow this  

SM Forks, Swingarm, Etc...on S/E model

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have not seen it here.

will the SM model forks, swingarm etc all mount up to the e or s model frames? I dont see any reason why not, basic frame comparo comes up identical.

Im looking to ditch the antiquated stuff for a little modernity and normal chain adjusters vs the indexed cams.

You will want the whole front end from the SM. Forks, triples, brake and wheel/axle. The brake rotors are a different size, and that difference is in the lower fork leg.....simple way to match everything up is to take the whole thing.

You can get USD forks another way......by using RM 125 or 250 forks and it will save you the brake/wheel issue.

I'm not positive, but I believe that the swingarm will work, I'm not sure if the S or E carrier will mate to the SM swingarm....that may be one small hurdle. If it is, then you want the rear SM rotor and carrier also.

hey Caesar, yeah its good to be back, just been busy for a while. Aspencop still has the great info and posts up just as quick as ever.

I will look into the rm front end swap, so our stock drz front wheel is a fit, maybe just need the rm spacers. I completely forgot the s/e rear caliper carrier issue, I would love to find a salvaged sm model for the frame/forks/swingarm.

also will need to be taking care of a bungled up countershaft bearing, so a case split is on order. Just wondering about a kicker only at this point also. Everyone who jumps their drz should run a loose as heck chain! thats all I can say on that issue.

Looks like its DRZ 3.0 time.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but the SM suspension will have a little less travel than the E suspension... not sure exactly how much though. May not be a problem for you... just fyi :smashpc:

What's up, Rory?!

Are you setting your bike up for off road or keeping it for an SM track bike? SM travel is about 1" less than the S so if planning an off road setup it may be better to go with RM forks. My guess is they'll have more travel than the SM forks. Definite stick with the S shock for off road as it is longer, also.

Here is the best post on the topic.....it's from NatetheGreat......but I think he's long gone....I added the easiest solution at the end of the post in ***. :smashpc:

First off lets start with stock RM triple clamp offsets and the forks that came on each model.....

1999 - 2000 RM125 / 250 - 24.5 offset - 49mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2004 RM125 - 24.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2003 RM250 - 24.5 offset - 46mm USD Kayaba Forks

2004 RM250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RM125 / 250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RMZ450 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

(new axle and axle lugs on the RMZ450 fork may require different spacers maybe more to use a set of its forks etc. on a DRZ or other RM????)

The RMZ250 is a Kawi designed chassis so I will totally leave it out as it doesn't belong.

OK Now for fork clamping area diameter measurements for the different forks :

47mm USD Showa Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

46mm USD Kayaba Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

49mm USD Showa Fork : 55.5mm upper 59.5mm lower

So basically an RM triple clamp whether 22.5 offset or 24.5 offset can be used to mount up a set of either 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB USD Forks.

As for the 49mm fork as what came on the 1999-2000 models you are stuck with a 24.5 at least as far as stock and most aftermarket clamps are concerned.

Now for more on triple clamps....

OK so the main concern is to get a set of triple clamps with an offset that keeps the handling from being all twitchy and unstable. The answer is a special low offset triple clamp.

So you may have seen TAG Metals has a couple different special offset Matrix triple clamps on thier website as mentioned in this post elsewhere....

The 4506-M-21 which has an offset of 21.5mm and can be used on 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB forks.

The 4506-M-21F which has an offset of 21.5mm and can be used with a set of Showa Works Forks as Burned mentioned.......

"Showa Works Kit Forks" with all the goodies and Ti coatings etc. sold mainly by Pro Circuit or RG3 for like $5k with the shock. Turns out these forks are also usually a 49mm Showa USD Fork.

What this means for you and I is that a set of 49mm Showa USD Forks off a 1999-2000 RM will drop right in and work with this clamp. The dimensions are the same for the clamping area.

Using 47mm Forks.....

If you go with the 47mm forks you will be set no problems becuase you can easily obtain 22.5mm offset clamps. The TAG 4506-M-21 would be a little less offset but if you couldn't or didn't want to spend the money on the TAG clamps at least you would be close even if you had to settle with the 22.5mm

***I recommend you try and find some 2001 - 2003 RM125 forks (Showa 47mm). Or 2004 and up RM125/RM250 (Also Showa 47mm).

Then just buy some 05 RM125/250 clamps. OEM or Aftermarket. (22.5mm offset). This is the easiest setup to get parts for, the 49mm triples are getting harder to come by. ***

Here is the best post on the topic.....it's from NatetheGreat......but I think he's long gone....I added the easiest solution at the end of the post in ***. :smashpc:

First off lets start with stock RM triple clamp offsets and the forks that came on each model.....

1999 - 2000 RM125 / 250 - 24.5 offset - 49mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2004 RM125 - 24.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2003 RM250 - 24.5 offset - 46mm USD Kayaba Forks

2004 RM250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RM125 / 250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RMZ450 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

(new axle and axle lugs on the RMZ450 fork may require different spacers maybe more to use a set of its forks etc. on a DRZ or other RM????)

The RMZ250 is a Kawi designed chassis so I will totally leave it out as it doesn't belong.

OK Now for fork clamping area diameter measurements for the different forks :

47mm USD Showa Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

46mm USD Kayaba Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

49mm USD Showa Fork : 55.5mm upper 59.5mm lower

So basically an RM triple clamp whether 22.5 offset or 24.5 offset can be used to mount up a set of either 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB USD Forks.

As for the 49mm fork as what came on the 1999-2000 models you are stuck with a 24.5 at least as far as stock and most aftermarket clamps are concerned.

Now for more on triple clamps....

OK so the main concern is to get a set of triple clamps with an offset that keeps the handling from being all twitchy and unstable. The answer is a special low offset triple clamp.

So you may have seen TAG Metals has a couple different special offset Matrix triple clamps on thier website as mentioned in this post elsewhere....

The 4506-M-21 which has an offset of 21.5mm and can be used on 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB forks.

The 4506-M-21F which has an offset of 21.5mm and can be used with a set of Showa Works Forks as Burned mentioned.......

"Showa Works Kit Forks" with all the goodies and Ti coatings etc. sold mainly by Pro Circuit or RG3 for like $5k with the shock. Turns out these forks are also usually a 49mm Showa USD Fork.

What this means for you and I is that a set of 49mm Showa USD Forks off a 1999-2000 RM will drop right in and work with this clamp. The dimensions are the same for the clamping area.

Using 47mm Forks.....

If you go with the 47mm forks you will be set no problems becuase you can easily obtain 22.5mm offset clamps. The TAG 4506-M-21 would be a little less offset but if you couldn't or didn't want to spend the money on the TAG clamps at least you would be close even if you had to settle with the 22.5mm

***I recommend you try and find some 2001 - 2003 RM125 forks (Showa 47mm). Or 2004 and up RM125/RM250 (Also Showa 47mm).

Then just buy some 05 RM125/250 clamps. OEM or Aftermarket. (22.5mm offset). This is the easiest setup to get parts for, the 49mm triples are getting harder to come by. ***

Wow, that is a great deal of information! Thanks!!

-----------

If I'm not mistaken, there was someone down here(Oceanside??) who was selling a set of "sm" forks with triple-tree sets, a few weeks back. I'll keep my eyes out for you down here.👍

The SM swing arm will bolt straight on, no need to change the shock.

You will need the axle,240mm disc, brake caliper mount and brake caliper from the SM though as they are all different to the S/E items.

:smashpc:

The SM swing arm will bolt straight on, no need to change the shock.

You will need the axle,240mm disc, brake caliper mount and brake caliper from the SM though as they are all different to the S/E items.

:smashpc:

You will also want to change the rear sprocket to SM gearing and take a couple links out of your chain....its easiest if you are going to do wheel swaps often to have 2 chains so you can have the proper rear sprockets on each rear wheel and change the chain at the same time to speed things up and avoid running 2 master links.

Edited by dirtwiz