Sign in to follow this  

Gotta pull it

I am registered with KTM now for the bearing recall. Basically waiting for the kit to come in and get scheduled to have it done.

I will be having it done by Motofit here in CT. I did not purchase the bike here but they have been great to work with so far. They are recommending a new piston ring while in there.

I really wanted to do the work myself but KTM will only warranty it if it is done by the dealer obviously. I may however pull the motor myself. I was wondering where you guys find service manuals for these. Is there a website where I can find torque settings for the motor mounts etc.?

Any other tips? Trying to figure out what to do with this thing while its apart. I am hoping to be down for only a day as I have been enjoying railing on this thing 3 times a week:busted:. We shall see.

Two Things:

1.) How many hrs on the bike? The piston will be in good shape if you have anything less than 50 hrs, or even more that matter. Save your money if you can. They last.

2.) There are two pistons for the 350. You won't know which to use until you see what the marking is on it. Therefore, you can't just randomly order one without knowing.

3.) Lastly, they have the split the cases regardless, so you tell them you want to see if before considering whether a piston is needed (but I doubt it). Then they can order whatever version that you need. Yes, it will add to the process.

40hrs run time on engine. Thanks guys. Kills me to have a stranger split my cases:ride:

I wouldn't change it.

But I have a new one with like 1 hr on it if you find out what the piston number is. It'll save you some serious money if interested.

Nice new avatar. That you in there Fred?? Don't you remember my crf250 thread years ago about only re-ringing the JE? Wonder how the stock piston compares.

Not me, but it is a nice photo from the MotoGP.

The stock pistons are really good. I guess I would decide when I looked at the skirt wear on the piston.

Ducati.jpg