Sign in to follow this  

2nd gear on the starting line

Well my dad was racing a while back and the guy he was racing against told him to put his bike in 2nd gear so when he takes off his doesn't flip, well he thought the guy was just trying to throw him off so he started in 1st and sure enough he popped the bike back and layed it down.

So is it better to start in 2nd?

i always start in second on my 250 2T. hooks up better and i only have to shift once more befor the first turn at the local track.

on my 2012 250sxf I start in 2nd with my holeshot clip on and about 3/4 throttle with the clutch just grabing and almost engagded and on avrage 1 out of the 3 motos i pull holeshot and i race with 125s other 250fs and 450s pro open class, i shift into third as soon as I hit the rev limiter and p.s my clutches dont last very long either hahah but it gets me holeshots everytime :smashpc:

I always start my 250 smoker in second. When I was young and skinny, I would even use third on occasion.

2nd, still have plenty of revs to pull once the bike gets moving, means once you start your not looking for another gear as soon as you leave the line

I start my yz450f in 1st gear hold it full about 30 sec before the 5 sec board then let it rip usually wait about 50 so m before i click it in to second. for some reason my bike chews valves and pistons like fuel....

Well my dad was racing a while back and the guy he was racing against told him to put his bike in 2nd gear so when he takes off his doesn't flip, well he thought the guy was just trying to throw him off so he started in 1st and sure enough he popped the bike back and layed it down.

So is it better to start in 2nd?

Yes, most riders start in 2nd. But if you're heavy and on a slow bike 1st is better.

Second gear works for me but dont think just because you put it in second you cant flip it.

I start my yz450f in 1st gear hold it full about 30 sec before the 5 sec board then let it rip usually wait about 50 so m before i click it in to second. for some reason my bike chews valves and pistons like fuel....

:smashpc::bonk:👍:busted:

You can't be serious. At least I'm hoping your not.

hmmmmmmmm keep doing what your doing mate and you might learn 👍