Sign in to follow this  

Oil out of Weep Hole

I tried to do a search on this, but everything I found was for a weep hole for the water pump.

My bike: 2004 CRF 450

My problem: I am getting oil out a weep hole on the side of the cylinder (Valve); before the ride the oil level in the window was towards the High mark, and after the ride the oil level was down to the Low mark.

Any help would be appreciated.

just a question how would tightening the spark plug help?there isn't oil that is being retained by the spark plug in any way...that would be a silly design by honda....unless there is something I don't know about these bikes?.....try and remove all the covers tank etc and try see where the oil is originating from when you run the bike its rather unusual to have oil coming from there!....

Its either the oil seal at the top of the spark plug hole on tha valve cover OR the steel tupe that goes over the spark plug itself is leaking..

To fix the later you can usually just pull it off since its a pressed fit, and use some sealant on the contact surfaces and tap it back down lightly with a piece of wood so you dont damage the top of the tubing, I had this very problem now its fixed..

• Like 1

im guessing that the valve cover gasket is leaking .only 1 way to find out.take it off and check.and make sure spark plug is tight .

Its either the valve cover or the spark plug tube leaking. If you had that much oil leaking out of the spark plug because it was loose the thing would blow a fog of oil smoke out the rear like smoke screen out of James Bond's Astin Martin circa 1967!

I know this is an old topic but I hope someone can help. I too have an 04 crf 450 and when it's left leaning to the right over night ( I don't have a stand yet ) there seams to be oil leaking out of the weep hole under the water pump. Would this be normal as the bike is leaning over? It doesn't do it when I put it on a home made stand ( a couple of blocks ). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help! Could you post a link to show me what I need for the fix! I would really appreciate it.

Cheers for the reply's. i will get on to that straight away and fingers crossed, I won't mess it up!

Just ordered a kit, seals, gaskets, shaft and bearings. It doesn't come with an impeller but I will get one too. Just a quick question! Do I have to take the clutch cover off or just take the casing off? I haven't done this before so Im just wondering what's the easiest way do do it. Thanks for the help!