Sign in to follow this  

reserve position on petcock & tank cleaning

400 E with full tank: If I set my petcock to the reserve position, will gas flow down into the smaller inlet only or both the small & tall inlet.

I ask because I noticed that my tall inlet filter came off and settled to the bottom of the tank along with some new debris. I just cleaned the tank out after I bought the bike a month ago. Could a teaspoon full of black particles come from the vent hose, bad gas station, etc???

Any suggestions on cleaning the tank would be appreciated. Last time, I drained the tank, removed the petcock and pushed the debris into the mounting hole.

Thanks,

Joe

it should only pull fuel from the short filter.

to clean the tank, remove & wash with warm water & let dry.

or you could flush it out with more expensive gas.

good idea to replace the petcock.

I would have to test the DRZ400E petcock to be sure, but most petcocks will drain fuel from both the ON and RES when the lever is on RES.

One test worth a 1000 opinions. roundeye was correct. When the lever is set to RES only reserve is in play.

OK, so now for a question that'll show my noob-ness to a DRZ... I've only owned bikes with petcocks that have "on", "off", and "res" positions. what the heck do I set the petcock to when I want to remove the tank or pull the fuel line? I would really rather not take a gasoline shower!

Thanks

OK, so now for a question that'll show my noob-ness to a DRZ... I've only owned bikes with petcocks that have "on", "off", and "res" positions. what the heck do I set the petcock to when I want to remove the tank or pull the fuel line? I would really rather not take a gasoline shower!

Thanks

Anything other than the PRI(me).

It's a vacuum activated petcock, so no vacuum= no fuel flow.

Thanks

"no vacuum no fuel" is only partially correct. Mine still drips at a fair pace, so I just put an appropriate sized bolt in the line (disconnect from carb side) and that stops it.

"no vacuum no fuel" is only partially correct. Mine still drips at a fair pace, so I just put an appropriate sized bolt in the line (disconnect from carb side) and that stops it.

Mine doesn't leak at all. I had the tank off the bike for over a week and it never dripped a drop.