Sign in to follow this  

Trail bike for a big guy

Hey fellas. I need help deciding between two bikes for riding mostly single track and tight wood trails. I had pretty much made up my mind to buy the Beta 450rr, but the local dealer (and only dealer in the state) quit selling Beta and picked up GasGas, and the dealer thinks the XT300 two stroke would really work well for my riding conditions.

I am 6'-4" and 225 lbs, and have never had a two stroke before.... my current bike is a YZ450 geared down with a heavyweight flywheel to make it a better trail bike, but as I get older, I am wanting a wide ratio transmission and electric start.

Any opinions would be helpfull.

GasGas makes a GoodGood bike. If you can afford it - buy it. :smashpc:

Suggest riding a friend's smoker for a bit just to see if you like it though the GasGas is highly tuned for your application so you can't directly compare it to a YZCRRMKX 250.

I am a big guy looking at the Gas Gas my concern is that the seat height is 25mm lower than the KTM's and Burgs. Coming off of the a 525 the 300 is going to feel small any ways. Hoping to be able to make up for this with some seat mods. But they are sure sweet looking and will be availible!

I grew up on 2t but would not trade a 4t for a 2t in the woods. The power is soo smooth and forgiving. I bet you would feel better on the 450RR vs. the GG based on your last bike.

I grew up on 2t but would not trade a 4t for a 2t in the woods. The power is soo smooth and forgiving. I bet you would feel better on the 450RR vs. the GG based on your last bike.

Yeah, I really like the 4 stroke power from the 450 in the woods. There is a dealer in a neighboring state that is about 4 hours away, so I may just have to bite the bullet and buy from them.

Thanks guys.

Do not overlook the 2012 TXC310 husky. Larger layout, awesome motor, super light feeling. GREAT bikes. Can be had for great prices as well.

12_Husqvarna_TXC310_FirstRide-2.jpg

my current bike is a yz450 geared down with a heavyweight flywheel to make it a better trail bike, but as i get older, i am wanting a wide ratio transmission and electric start.

wr 450?

Hey fellas. I need help deciding between two bikes for riding mostly single track and tight wood trails. ...........

I am 6'-4" and 225 lbs, and have never had a two stroke before.... my current bike is a YZ450 geared down with a heavyweight flywheel to make it a better trail bike, but as I get older, I am wanting a wide ratio transmission and electric start.

Same size as you

ride the same here in WETstern Washington etc.

Soapbox opinion time = $.10 worth from an old phart

Any of the bikes you are going to have to do some set up to fit, they just aint designed for us NON VERTICALLY CHALLENGED riders.

easiest set up for more room IMO in sequence?

bars (I run the pro taper, travis pastrana Freestyle bend) over 5" of rise nice an flat

pegs: I mount the fastway pegs in the low back position

Last, if I have to, tall saddle

as others have mentioned, size wise, starting with a "larger" cockpit is helpfull

the GG300 is, as mentioned, small in the cockpit area

If you are ONLY going to be doing single etc...KTM 300 XC-w or the new Berg 300s would be champion....light feel of the ride and handling in the snot is amazing over any four stroke.

If you want the valve machines...

KTMs are hard to beat, as are the bergs

Huskys are a contender, some folks love em, some, not so much, kind of like an oil discussion....YIKES.

Im looking at a new do it all machine = plate

down to

Berg 570

KTM 500

Berg TE300

KTM 300 XC-w

some pavement

fire roads

want the 6 gears

high resale

mixing fuel is no big for me...but a consideration, but the light weight over the four stroke is soooooooooooooooooooooooo compelling!

Good luck!

HR

a husky will take the least mods to make it fit you well. i'm 6'2" and the only mod i had to do to my wr250 was the scotts submount. that brought the stock bars up to the perfect height. no dropping pegs, tall foam, tall bars required.

i love the looks and performance of the gasgas but sadly they're a little cramped for me, i'm considering one as my next bike but the number of mods required to set it up for me is a little daunting.

Hey! I'm a Beta dealer in Chattanooga, TN.

They're really a great bike!

Search nearby states. They're worth a drive if you have to.

Edited by CRFJeff113
Rethought

wr 450?

Yeah, a serious thought actually as I have had great luck with the YZ, but unfortunately the new re-designed WR450 doesn't come out until March....

Do not overlook the 2012 TXC310 husky. Larger layout, awesome motor, super light feeling. GREAT bikes. Can be had for great prices as well.

I will check them out, the local Gasgas dealer carries the Husky line also. I haven't paid serious attention to them because the test reports I have read said they excel at high speed desert riding, but aren't as good in the tight mountain trails.

**edit**

Alright, looked at the Husky website.... so, for the riding I do, what would you all think of the enduro models (TE449 or WR300) instead of the TXC line?

I'm currenly looking at Husky 2 strokes... They fit rather well. 6'6" 215lbs

Really there is a wide variety of bikes to choose from. The gasgas is small cockpit wise..I wouldn't go there....Great bike though. A ktm 300 2 stroke with electric start is nice but I've been told the electric start cost some dollaz when it goes . Still that's what I would look at...There's more room for a bigger guy. Maybe more guys could chime in on a husky 300...I like the styling for sure and have heard only good. ..Few around here. As far as 4 stroke . I'm in love with my Beta 525. The new Beta's are better . I've ridden a newer 520 and it's a great bike... It's the best handling bike I've ridden and the power is smooth controllable and fast.. I can't speak for the other brands but you all have more options on the mainland. I'm 6'1" 230 with a little extra long arms . I ride almost exclusively tight trail...(We don't have much else these days) . i'm a little leary of the newer ktm 4 strokes. I don't know if their initial design flaws have been addressed. They work great though. I just rode my buddies newer gen 09 ktm 450 and it works great. I like my bike better but not by much. I'm still riding my highly modified for trail(and otherwise if need be) 01' cr 250. It's a big enough size for me and I have ridden newer bikes and it just isn't better or much better. If I would go new for a 2 stroke I would want a new 300 with 6 gears and electric start. Those 2 last mods are the only things that are improvements maybe worth upgrading for . I wouldn't mind a gasgas 300 6 speed motor in the newest generation cr honda frame. That would be awesome but of course fantasy and nothing we could just buy. There's a bunch of choices out there anyway. Good luck picking. I think this is a fun part of the process of getting a bike.:smashpc:👍

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I've been fumbling with this problem for a while now. Today, I think I have it down to two bikes... If 2stroke Husqvarna WR300, if 4stroke Husaberg FE390.

The only problem I've seen so far was the lack of e-start on the Husky and no availability of extended shift levers. That and they're sprung for jockeys...

those new 449/511's sure are loved by guys that are tall enough to ride them (that's not me!) that's why I went gasgas

I think I have it down to two bikes... If 2stroke Husqvarna WR300, if 4stroke Husaberg FE390.

having ridden both extensively you can't go wrong with those choices. The WR is hammer reliable and super simple / inexpensive. The Berg will cost a lot more and is far more complicated but a GREAT machine. The WR will most likely just need the suspension done and then you to put a million worry free miles on it.