Sign in to follow this  

Too much $$$

Is everyone like me and look for well maintained bikes for cheap on craigs? And then end up spending a shitload on mods when you could've spent the extra $$$ in the first place and saved $$$ overall?

...Just saw a tricked out bike on craigslist with all the mods I bought for my bike + some...for a little more than I spent on my bike from the get go...

Don't get me wrong I like wrenching on my bike and that's the best part for me...but when it comes down to paying the credit card off... :smashpc:

Moderation baby!

Set a budget and stick to it. Compromise on brands. Don't go over your budget unless you sell something else/cut something from the budget to free up the cash.

Buy bikes without titles (provided VIN is legit via search), start the ownership in doubt process and get registration soon followed by title 3 years later.

Most mods are a waste of money. Fast guys focus on their suspension setup.

Yeap, exactly what I'm saving up for...I would like to try out a MX course later on, but I think I'm going to get my bike set up for hare scrambles as I'd like to get into the sport...it may be too soft for MX but oh well...more $$$ either way

Moderation baby!

Set a budget and stick to it. Compromise on brands. Don't go over your budget unless you sell something else/cut something from the budget to free up the cash.

Buy bikes without titles (provided VIN is legit via search), start the ownership in doubt process and get registration soon followed by title 3 years later.

no titles in GA needed...even if I wanted to get it street legal I think it may take a couple weeks...

Modding a bike is fun. It makes it your personal bike with your personal work and appreciation. That's why a lot of guys show off their street rods at car shows. You put in all that work and money to either make you faster then the other guy or to make it unique and different than the other guy

I enjoy going through and doing all the free mods I can, then setting up stuff I like such as hand guards, skidplates, frame guards etc... But a said suspension is the first thing worth spending time and money on if you want to improve your speed/comfort/technique.

I have a sticker on my car, and I feel it applies to everything. "Built Not Bought" Do it yourself and make it your own. You don't want someone elses perfect bike you want your's.

If you have to put the mod on a credit card to get it, Then you dont need it. Save and pay cash.

LOL this isn't 1992! Skymiles ftw! I buy everything with my credit card...gas, groceries, parts, etc...That way I get a free trip anywhere I want every couple years!

Every time that i'm on the market for a bike, i look for clapped out shit that i can get a great deal on, so i can setup the bike for me.

I could spend a bit more, and buy a nicer bike, but i'll end up spending the same $$ setting it up for my liking. And i always look for deals on parts on forums, ebay, etc. Rarely my bikes see new stuff, other then tires and engine internals.

I mostly just care about the motor and transmission. Needs to shift smooth and not make any funky noises. Dont want to have to go in to the bottom end.

Every time that i'm on the market for a bike, i look for clapped out shit that i can get a great deal on, so i can setup the bike for me.

I could spend a bit more, and buy a nicer bike, but i'll end up spending the same $$ setting it up for my liking. And i always look for deals on parts on forums, ebay, etc. Rarely my bikes see new stuff, other then tires and engine internals.

+1.

I always do this.

And I NEVER buy a bike with mods on it. Every bike I've ever bought has been all original or original replacement parts. Modded out bikes are usually beaten on harder than clapped out stock bikes.

Gotta admit though, I did buy my clapped out Suburban 4x4 from someone who put a lift on it which is totally against my rules to the root, but the rest of the truck was stock and I got it for a song.

'01 CR250 in jacksonville that the guy offered to sell for $1200 and travel! On jax craigslist...looks pretty good and already has a few mods

yup. worry about getting the bike setup for you and have a good feal instead of the other parts. ever notice at the local races and tracks most (not all) of the fast guys have new tires,suspension,chains and sprockets :smashpc:

'01 CR250 in jacksonville that the guy offered to sell for $1200 and travel! On jax craigslist...looks pretty good and already has a few mods

That's what they go for here in So Cal...

haha friggin' people want WAAAAAAAY too much for their bikes out here. literally everyone does. it's impossible to find a good deal, because they do not exist here in new england. at least not on craigslist.