Sign in to follow this  

Unexpectedly new to KTM

I am an unexpected owner of a 2007 KTM 450 XC-W and I'm pretty stoked! :smashpc: Got an amazing deal on the bike from a good friend with only 22 hours/440 miles on it. I wasn't planning on getting a newer bike but when it was offered at this price I couldn't pass on it.

Now, I really know nothing about KTM's (other than their good rep) and I know my buddy had some sort of issue with oil going into the carb and had to route something differently (not sure what, he had the shop do it) to avoid that happening when the bike was laid over. He had to have the carb rebuilt after that mess but otherwise I think he just changed the oil and rode it stock.

I have a big list of all the normal cleanup/setup stuff you would do on any bike but I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look out for on this model as I really don't know much about KTM's. I understand this is supposed to be a really good motor and a great bike overall but if you have any setup tips or things to watch for I'd love to hear them.

It has the plastic KTM skid plate, will that do or should I get the metal one? I ride in very hot desert conditions, I'm guessing that fan would be good? Should I add a coolant reservoir? Any other must haves specific to this bike?

I know my buddy had some sort of issue with oil going into the carb and had to route something differently (not sure what, he had the shop do it) to avoid that happening when the bike was laid over. He had to have the carb rebuilt after that mess but otherwise I think he just changed the oil and rode it stock.

Most will tell you it was desinged that way(with the breather into the intake) to keep the engine from sucking dirt.

also, while they smoke after laying over it does nothing to the carb.

also, while they smoke after laying over it does nothing to the carb.

I think it got oil in there then sat awhile thus gunking it all up. Runs great now except a lot of popping when coasting down really steep hills.

I've run the bike a couple times now and it's night and day from my old WR426. Much smoother throttle response, more nimble, and MUCH better suspension. It's only about 15lbs lighter than the WR but the lower center of gravity makes it feel like a lot more than that. Air time feels so much more comfortable and the brakes have great modulation. The hydraulic clutch is awesome.

I'm going to pick up a stabilizer for it next but otherwise it's got everything. I've got a "0" in the 8th digit of the VIN, might invest some time getting it plated here in CA.

I have an 07 525 exc. I added the plastic skidplate. I personally love it. Not rigid, less noise etc. It has taken some pretty significant shots (I am 230 on a big bike riding in some seriously rocky terrain) and other than some deep scratches it's in good shape. It also offers decent coverage and is super easy to get on and off when needed.

As for the fan, it's not the heat that will get you, it's the lack of airflow. I have a larger tank blocking the flow and ride some very tight, slow stuff. I had some issues dribbling a little off the top via the overflow so I went to a higher pressure radiator cap and installed a fan, not an issue since. I think I would try it w/o the fan first if you are riding in more open areas where you are keeping your speed up. If you do the fan and higher pressure cap upgrades you definitely won't need a catch can or reservoir.

Enjoy the bike I can't imagine having anything else.

I am an unexpected owner of a 2007 KTM 450 XC-W and I'm pretty stoked! 👍 Got an amazing deal on the bike from a good friend with only 22 hours/440 miles on it. I wasn't planning on getting a newer bike but when it was offered at this price I couldn't pass on it.

Now, I really know nothing about KTM's (other than their good rep) and I know my buddy had some sort of issue with oil going into the carb and had to route something differently (not sure what, he had the shop do it) to avoid that happening when the bike was laid over. He had to have the carb rebuilt after that mess but otherwise I think he just changed the oil and rode it stock.

I have a big list of all the normal cleanup/setup stuff you would do on any bike but I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look out for on this model as I really don't know much about KTM's. I understand this is supposed to be a really good motor and a great bike overall but if you have any setup tips or things to watch for I'd love to hear them.

It has the plastic KTM skid plate, will that do or should I get the metal one? I ride in very hot desert conditions, I'm guessing that fan would be good? Should I add a coolant reservoir? Any other must haves specific to this bike?

One highly recommended mod to the KTM RFS engine is the addition of a high speed one way valve in the crankcase breather hose, and then keep the hose connected to the stock carb location. www.thumperracing.net sells a nice one way valve for this purpose.

One highly recommended mod to the KTM RFS engine is the addition of a high speed one way valve in the crankcase breather hose, and then keep the hose connected to the stock carb location. www.thumperracing.net sells a nice one way valve for this purpose.

Thanks, I'll pick one of these up. After a closer inspection, I don't think he actually re-routed anything so it should be an easy fix.

What does the 0 as the eight digit mean? My '08 450xc-w has that too.

Well, we'll see what it means to the CA DMV soon...

But and "8" or a "C" means pretty much no chance at a plate so this might help.

The vin should be non-issue since the bike is an 07 which was 50 state legal from the factory.

What does the 0 as the eight digit mean? My '08 450xc-w has that too.

Well, we'll see what it means to the CA DMV soon...

But and "8" or a "C" means pretty much no chance at a plate so this might help.

most will tell you the stock crankcase breather configuration is best...just don't overfill it...the checkvalve is nice but not a huge deal.

as posted if u do slow technical stuff the fan, 1.8-2.0 bar radiator cap is nice.

the only question is how did the PO rejet the bike??? 👍

:ride:

most will tell you the stock crankcase breather configuration is best...just don't overfill it...the checkvalve is nice but not a huge deal.

as posted if u do slow technical stuff the fan, 1.8-2.0 bar radiator cap is nice.

the only question is how did the PO rejet the bike??? 👍

:ride:

Yeah, looking at the oil window when I got it I'm guessing overfill was an issue...

KTM dealer rejetted the bike, PO kept all records. Settings seemed pretty standard for our area (sea level to 4k ft set for an average temp) and the bike runs great. I don't remember off hand what they are but I looked it up and it seemed right from what most people in similar areas have theirs set to. There was a bit of popping on deceleration but he had the idle way too high and the fuel/air mix slightly off. I fixed that and now it's perfect.

Just put a Scotts damper on it and will put in a couple hours "testing" this afternoon.