Sign in to follow this  

top end question?

hey guys kind of new to two strokes(not riding them but maintaining them:smirk:) im about to do a new top end on my 02 yz 250, ive looked through the manual and other threads but couldnt find a definitive answer, should one rehone the cylinder every topend job? even if the cylinder is within spec with no visible damage, i no witht the four strokes if you wanted your rings to break in well, you should replace the crosshatching in the cylinder? is this true with 2 strokes? any help would be greatly aprreiciated thanks

I never hone a 2 stroke unless it has damage to the cylinder. In most cases I just send it in to get replated instead of a hone. Honstly I dont have much experiace with the stock plating. Ive had all my cylinders ported and replated right away. My 295 has over 200 hour on its original plating and ive never honed it. I always rering at 40 and new piston/rings at 80. But my engine and riding style force me to keep up on matanace

in this kind of cylinders yo have to change only piston with the right size. When yo see that your nikasil seems to be damage you have to replate to STD size or buy a new cylinder, you can´t hone, if you don´t have a steel sleeve.

Good luck!

hey thanks for clearing this up guys, wasn't sure... wanted to make sure