Sign in to follow this  

2009 KX250F Info

I grew up riding old bikes mid 70's through late mid 80's. the newest bike i ever had growing up was an 86 rm125. anyways now 10 years later i decided to get back into riding and bought an 09 kx250f. i don't know much about the bike.

so on the forks i've noticed there are adjustments on the top and bottoms of the tubes, what are these adjusting? i'm sure its dampening, but compression or rebound?

also same as the rear shock reservoir, what does that adjustment do?

what kind of oil does the bike take and how many hours before an oil change?

i'd really like to find a manual on the bike.

Congrats on getting an awesome bike!

On both the shock and fork, compression damping is the top clickers.

Rebound damping is on the bottom.

The most important setting before riding though is setting the race sag on the shock. Set it to 100 mm.

Measure from a point on the rear axle up to the fender with the bike on a stand and the wheel off the ground.

Then sit on the bike (in riding position) and have a friend measure between the same points.

Adjust the shock spring preload until it sags 100mm under your weight.

Use common engine oil, 10w -40 is recommended. 1 liter to change it.

Change it every 5 hours, and the oil filter every other change.

You can use synthetic oil, but not the extra slippery kind made for cars. It can make the clutch slip.

You can not go wrong using a motor-cycle specific oil that is labeled JASO MA.

However I have used a semi-synthetic universal oil that comes in 20 liter cans for my bike since it was new. It now has 110 hours and is still on the original clutch.

I have an 09 and love it.

Keep the air filter clean and the oil changed and it'll serve you well.

Btw, get an owners manual. Usually you can find them cheap on ebay.

i changed the oil and filter the other day, refilled with 1 liter and it is at the top of my sight glass????

does it take a long time after the bike is vertical for the oil to settle? i held it vertical for about a min then looked and it was still over the sight glass

Once you run the motor, the oil level will drop due too the oil traveling through the pump ect... I always put 1 liter in my 2010, and after a 30 min moto the level is half way up the sight glass. Good Luck!

Once you run the motor, the oil level will drop due too the oil traveling through the pump ect... I always put 1 liter in my 2010, and after a 30 min moto the level is half way up the sight glass. Good Luck!

alright i'll go ahead and ride then, i ran it for about one min after the change, i guess i need to ride it more

also does your guys bikes burn any oil?

I've went through about 1/4 quart of oil after probably 3 hours of riding. I never see any smoke and haven't found any leaks?

Well I run Maxima 530mx, from everything I have read seems to be one of the best for the kx250f. Well Mitch Payton uses it in his Pro Circuit race bike's. I run between 4-5 hours between oil changes, and once I drain the oil it seems like I loose maybe 5%-10% of the oil. Yes it will burn oil, as will any hi-performance 4 stroke. But I have heard many on TT talk about loosing about the same as you are reporting. How many hours are on the set ring's? Could be normal, its just that I don't loose quiet as much as you are reporting. I am all over the rev limiter, so not running the bike hard is not a problem here!

Well I run Maxima 530mx, from everything I have read seems to be one of the best for the kx250f. Well Mitch Payton uses it in his Pro Circuit race bike's. I run between 4-5 hours between oil changes, and once I drain the oil it seems like I loose maybe 5%-10% of the oil. Yes it will burn oil, as will any hi-performance 4 stroke. But I have heard many on TT talk about loosing about the same as you are reporting. How many hours are on the set ring's? Could be normal, its just that I don't loose quiet as much as you are reporting. I am all over the rev limiter, so not running the bike hard is not a problem here!

idk how many hours are on it, i was told from the guy who sold it to me that its never been rebuilt, and from the looks of it, it doesn't look like the jug or head has ever been off