Sign in to follow this  

TTR230 Melted Plastics???

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a great condition used 2008 TTR-230. Looks to have been ridden very, very little and not been crashed (adult owned). When doing the preliminary maintenance prior to taking to the trails I found that several plastics areas had melted just above the exhaust/muffler area. The back fender had signs of melting and actually dripped down onto the muffler (blue plastic puddles on the muffler) and the side cover had melted slightly, as well as the lower area of the plastic battery box. There is no sign that the exhaust had come loose to touch these areas. The engine runs great (no knocks, etc.) but I am concerned. Do these things run that hot and should I be worried?

I took a look at my 2006 TT-R230. There's plenty of air gap between the muffler, fender and number plate. The number plate has a foiled-backed insulating material on it. I can't imagine it running hot enough to melt the fender that far away under normal circumstances. Maybe if the fender had been pushed onto the muffler. My kid rides the bike. He's not super-aggressive on it. And, we don't ride when it's too hot - 90 F or below.

The bike will run hot when lean, as will any bike.