Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust gasket gone

Has anyone ever had a copper exhaust gasket burn away? I know I put one in when I put the exhaust in but I am having carb problems and the engine was running at a high idle and backfiring (literally throwing flames out the pipe). When I pulled the exhaust off the gasket was completely gone. Anyone else ever experience this? Thanks!

I'd double check to make sure it still is in place, most times, they get squashed flatter than a pancake, especially the copper ones, and it looks like there isn't one in there.

If it is, in fact gone, with the loose ones, I dab a little Bel-Ray grease in three spots 120 degrees apart and then ease it up in place with a deepwell socket, the grease makes it stick to the head, and it won't fall out while you're wrestling with your exhaust pipe.

concur with dirbkr188. If you are sure you put one in there then it is still there. Copper gasket will not burn away or decentigrate. It is probably squished and black from exhaust and not visible. The ones off of my son's KTM look like they are gone, but they become flat and look like part of the exhaust. I usually have to start picking at them to get them out. It is still up in there somewhere...