Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock Oil Replacement

Hello, I did a little searching and really could not find what I was looking for.I am replacing spring and oil on my rear shock. I have a manual,but it's not much help here.My two questions are about the oil.The first is how do you know you are putting the 12. whatever ounces in the shock if you are sucking it out of a tray?The second is how do you keep the air bubbles out?Someone must have an easy method for this part of the job.Thanks

Hello, I did a little searching and really could not find what I was looking for.I am replacing spring and oil on my rear shock. I have a manual,but it's not much help here.My two questions are about the oil.The first is how do you know you are putting the 12. whatever ounces in the shock if you are sucking it out of a tray?The second is how do you keep the air bubbles out?Someone must have an easy method for this part of the job.Thanks

Which shock? There have been several used on the DRZ over the years.

2nd you don't really measure oil, you fill the shock body up, insert the bladder,,, well any way,,, there are a few steps, but the endstate is.. you fill, bleed air, overfill, assemble, and your done.. . Forks get oil measured, not the Showa shock.

3rd,... Do you have a Ni charging station or are you having that done for you?

last.. Google,, lots of youtube vids out there.

http://www.mx-tech.com/downloads/Showa_shock.pdf

Edited by E.Marquez

Forget the manual. Changing the suspension fluid is a fun project. By the time you have it done you will have oil all over the shop. Really it is not that bad but you have to be ready to learn the process and it is rather involved. To change the oil requires removal of the badder, seal head and damper rod. There are various ways to refill with oil and bleed out the air. The manual suggestion is just silly. And of course it has to be recharged with nitrogen when you are done.