Sign in to follow this  

crf450x chains sprockets

I needed to gear my X up and I removed the 51 tooth rear sprocket from my bike and put a stock 48 tooth sprocket from a 07 450r I used to have. I noticed that the rear sprocket from my old 450r seems to be wearing strangely. Now I want to replace the chain and sprockets. Then I read that the stock chain on the 450X is narrower than a regular o-ring chain. I read that a regular o-ring/x-ring chain will rub on the engine case. Anyone have any input on this? I want to order a new chain and sprockets but I don't want to get an RK x-ring or o-ring chain if it is going to rub on the cases. Do you have to run the stock narrower chain? Are their any options like spacers etc?

I needed to gear my X up and I removed the 51 tooth rear sprocket from my bike and put a stock 48 tooth sprocket from a 07 450r I used to have. I noticed that the rear sprocket from my old 450r seems to be wearing strangely. Now I want to replace the chain and sprockets. Then I read that the stock chain on the 450X is narrower than a regular o-ring chain. I read that a regular o-ring/x-ring chain will rub on the engine case. Anyone have any input on this? I want to order a new chain and sprockets but I don't want to get an RK x-ring or o-ring chain if it is going to rub on the cases. Do you have to run the stock narrower chain? Are their any options like spacers etc?

DID VT-2 Xring chain is the best, and fits fine.

Supersprox, Ironman, and Sunline sprockets wear forever.

I just looked into the stock replacement chain recommended in the Honda Users Manual - D.I.D. 520MXV. I sent an email to DID since I couldn't find this part number on any websites. Their reply said "520MXV is stock/OEM chain. The replacement chain is 520VT2, which is a narrow X-Ring chain."

My stock chain and sprockets lasted forever, 4 years and 6000 miles. They weren't racing miles but they weren't easy miles either. Never stretched enough to put a 1 tooth bigger c/s sprocket on.

Do you guys run steel or aluminum Sunline sprockets? I know steel last longer, however, don't they rob a little power?

I wouldnt say that the steel robs power... It just weights a little more, that is all.

I bet it is one of those things that you would not be able to tell if you didnt know what sprocket was on there.

Upon closer inspection I now realize that the 07 CRF450r sprocket I put on my X is actually not wearing funny it appears it was made that way. Alternating teeth are different. What happened was after a long day's ride and a few (several) beers my buddy was looking at the sprocket and said something was up. I glanced at it and it did look strange. After looking at it the garage the other night, no beers this time, I realized that starting on one tooth the next tooth was pointer, and narrower than the first but every alternating tooth was the same. Must be for clearing mud/debris I guess. I thought it was funny because the alignment marks for the chain adjusting blocks were on exactly the same mark on both sides and sighting down the chain it looked straight. I ordered a steel 47 tooth rear anyway as I want to gear it up slightly.

Upon closer inspection I now realize that the 07 CRF450r sprocket I put on my X is actually not wearing funny it appears it was made that way. Alternating teeth are different. What happened was after a long day's ride and a few (several) beers my buddy was looking at the sprocket and said something was up. I glanced at it and it did look strange. After looking at it the garage the other night, no beers this time, I realized that starting on one tooth the next tooth was pointer, and narrower than the first but every alternating tooth was the same. Must be for clearing mud/debris I guess. I thought it was funny because the alignment marks for the chain adjusting blocks were on exactly the same mark on both sides and sighting down the chain it looked straight. I ordered a steel 47 tooth rear anyway as I want to gear it up slightly.

You will probably find you have even number teeth on the sprockets, so the same teeth always rub on the narrow chain link each revolution, rather than link/plate if you had an odd number, which would then wear uniformly.

You will probably find you have even number teeth on the sprockets, so the same teeth always rub on the narrow chain link each revolution, rather than link/plate if you had an odd number, which would then wear uniformly.

This site:

www.gearingcommander.com

will show you if that's happening or not. Look at the chart at the bottom.

Jim.

I put a DID Xring on my 08 CRF450 and it rubbed my engine case. Glad I took it off for cleaning before I wrecked my engine. Buyers Beware

I only run NON O-Ring chains , and have since the stock chain was replaced , they last just as long if not longer and are easier to clean (DID Gold , EK -HD) , and yes some O-ring chains do rub the case , but if you get aftermarket sprockets you can put them on so they stick out farther and should stop the rubbing

If you want to stretch your gears use a 14 in front instead of a 48 in the rear,same gearing but the 14 gives you room in the case area ,even with a solid RK GXW xw-ring chain. 👍

• Like 1