Sign in to follow this  

slap labrum tear with collarbone malunion

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with a SLAP tear on my left side with the clavicle malunion.

I also have some sort of SCJ subluxation there. I have chronic pain all the time in SCJ area, clavicle and the shoulder area and ofcourse limited shoulder movement.

I was planning to fly to Houston from Israel for a long time now but it mostly depends on my parents and the way the see it and how it should been done.. they still don't believe that no one here in Israel could fix it..

Anyway, Since I can't really use my left hand at all how do I approach the issue?

what needs to be fixed first ?

The only way I see it is to get the clavicle fixed 1st since this is what caused all of this mess in the 1st place.

I have no Idea what I should do now, if I fix the slap tear first, I wouldn't be able to heal from that since I would have trouble doing physiotherapy and work my muscles with the clavicle malunion and SCJ subluxation.. so I really have no clue how to approach this all thing..

I've had tons of problems before having the SLAP tear and SCJ subluxation and it all started to go downhill since my clavicle break. it's been 5 years now and my wish now is to get it fixed in it's normal anatomic way and then see what to do next.

could I get some observations here? cause I'm lost here! ;/

Thank you very much guys

I'd get the clavicle issue fixed first. Slap tears, while annoying and painful at times, are livable. This clavicle issue seems to have you partially disabled.

I had a slap tear in both my shoulders for a couple years. Finally got the R shoulder fixed b/c it was the worse, still living with the L shoulder tear. Eventually it'll have to be fixed, but for now it's livable, plus I have too much going on right now to lay up for a month.

Both get fixed at the same time. The sum of the parts are no worse than either part by themselves.

Thank you both!

It seems like the clavicle injury affected almost every part of my body, resulted in a bad posture which caused back pain in 21 years of age, muscle imbalances, pain on both sides of the shoulder... it's like a downhill which it's only cure is to fix the clavicle first... and then think it through.. M I right?

okay, how much would it cost to fix them both at the same time? and what can I do with SCJ subluxation on both of shoulders.. they both pop out, click, and cause pain usually when I lift my arm over my shoulder.

they both are I think as a result of stiffness and improper shoulder movement?

My problem now is my parents and how I make them understand that i'm really disabled at the moment, right, I may not look like that, I have both my hands and it's fixable. I have a future ahead of me but if you don't get it fixed and fixed properly it will just get worse with every movement, and something needs to be done. they think that most of my pain is in my head and they need the psychologist approval to go visit you in Texas Houston.

Can't get both done at once. Unless you have someone to hand feed you, and do your physical therapy for you. I was in a sling for the better part of a month, then slowly worked my arm back to use. Lots of physical therapy that involves using you other arm.

Not going to lie, it sucked. Inconvenient, painful, and just plain annoying.

Maybe I missed something, but why do you need to convince your parents of this?

I have done these two together a couple of dozen times. Sometimes the guy needs a sling for six weeks, other times, I can set the hand free from get get go. There is certainly no reason to divide the misery between two separate surgical sittings.

Man, wish my doc would of done both together. Guess he knew I'd be rocking the sling for awhile for the R.

I need they approval because they support me at the moment financely.. and they are afraid it might get worse after the surgery, yeah I know.

Dr Mark, could you please answer my latest post? It's really important for me to figure out everything... so I would know what to do next.

Thank you. I appreciate it

The chances that your folks either have the funds, or inclined to send you to the wilds of Texas for surgery are less than zero.

Dr. Dan Atar is an excellent surgeon. Google him. I am sure your parents won't balk at an hour car or bus ride.

We have the funds Dr. Mark for the collarbone fixation.

I've discussed it with my parents a ton. and they are willing to take me to houston but they just need some sort of confirmation that this is the right thing to do.

I have no clue how much the slap surgery is gonna cost, if were gonna do it at the same time.

We will meet Dr. Mark I promise that. it's just a matter of time.

The drive out cost to fix everything, is USD 21,500

That includes all medical/surgical/anesthesia/rehab services.

At this point, I havent examined you, so I haven't seen the malunited collarbone, nor the MRI of the SLAP tear.

After I confirm the diagnosis, I would do an arthroscopy to repair the SLAP, and then an osteotomy of the collarbone and set it straight.

I am fully familiar with nervous Israeli parents, but this fix is not really so complicated. L'Shana tova.

If you folks want to speak with me, my cell is listed below.

Thank you so much!

Yeah they are nervous,

and I will let the talk to you.

21 grand sounds manageable and I'm sure we will meet soon!

as for the clavicle malunion, I've already opened a thread here with the X-rays and everything, would you like to take a look at it again?

or perhaps you mean a physical exam?

Right after the break

picture074kr.th.jpg

malunion

picture073i.th.jpg

"good" right side

picture076a.th.jpg

trying to lift my arm over the shoulder but can't because the clavicle is blocking the shoulder movement at the deltoid muscle.

what happened is the clavicle healed in a straight line instead of an S shaped figure so that the deltoid muscle is being blocked resulting in a limited range of motion

picture078r.th.jpg

So this needs fixation by a competent surgeon like yourself. cause no one here has ever done any.