XR200r Lighting

So it is my understanding that my 81 xr200r doesn't need a regulator for a headlight. Where can I find a headlight that wont break after a few seconds of idling? I measured the AC current to be like 40V when at idle. and up to like 70V when running at high speed. Should I just break down and put a regulator in so I can use a 12v generic headlight?

Good observation:

The alternator is a finite source which means the voltage is dependent on the load.

Good news and bad news: with a load from a headlite and a tail light the voltage will drop enough for the OEM 6 volt bulbs, if one bulb burns out the voltage will rise enough to blow the other one. I finally got frustrated enough with blown bulbs and the hassle of trying to locate 6 volt bulbs that I converted to 12 volts.

Bought a 12 volt AC regulator for $13 and 12 volt bulbs; end of problems.

There are several headlite units available that will fit; the 81-83 XR200R unit, and several XR250R units. The ones with a plastic lens use a H6M bulb base, Honda has a variety of bulbs in the 25-35 watt range, 6 volt and 12 volt, single beam and Hi/Lo. Honda used glass lens on some of the later 250s that use the H3 or H4 car bulbs. Also Baja Design, Maier, and Trail Tech have headlight units.

On an 81 that I made street legal I used a 93+ alternator (100watts vs 50watts) and a rectifier/regulator so I had DC for the horn.

• 4 weeks later...

Honda or aftermarket regulator?

2 wires? or 4 wires?

The regulator that I used had two wires, I hooked one to the hot wire and the other to ground; it regulates by putting a load on the alternator. The hot wire for lighting from the 81 alternator is blue, the black/red is for the CDI, Honda uses green for ground.