Sign in to follow this  

Cracked subframe

2011 DRZ 400S 6700 miles

Just noticed this a few minutes ago :smashpc:👍

Never had any major falls or crashes aside from a few low speed low sides.

Anyone see a DRZ subframe crack in this area????

Glad Im still under warranty.

CRACKED001.jpg

Wow! I've never seen that before....somehow the bike got knocked over or hit, that's just not something that happened on it's own.

I just went out to look at it again. No signs of it being dropped or knocked over anywhere. This one really has me at a loss.

When I bought my bike used it was cracked in the same place. The previous owner had it welded, but forgot to tell me about it, or didn't notice. I did some research and it seems that is a popular place for it to crack due to heat.

Either have it warranty replaced, or bring it to a welder and call it good.

When I bought my bike used it was cracked in the same place. The previous owner had it welded, but forgot to tell me about it, or didn't notice. I did some research and it seems that is a popular place for it to crack due to heat.

Either have it warranty replaced, or bring it to a welder and call it good.

I didnt even think about it being so close to the pipe there. Gonna have our service manager get on the phone with Suzuki when he gets back from lunch. Im hoping they will warranty it but if not I have someone that can weld it up for me. Thanks for the info. :smashpc:

EDIT: Think I will try to make some kind of heat shield to bolt on where the passenger peg mounts.

Id have it welded, and my initials tatooed in weld on it just for fun.

Looks like a fast break.

if you do happen to bring it in for warranty replacement, probably a good idea to put the stock pipe back on.

I work at a Suzuki dealer so that wont be an issue :smashpc:

Though as hose clamp may have been more appropriate..:smashpc:

Thats what a coworker suggested. 👍 Suprisingly enough the subframe is still very sturdy. Im hoping Suzuki doesnt ask for the old subframe back so I can weld it and have a back up.

Just realized yesterday that I have a complete separation of the sub-frame in almost the exact same spot. I have a 2008 DRZ 400 SM. I'm curious if you ever found out what caused this @jtiv19 and do you know when it happened?

I now know when mine cracked. I constantly pick up my bike from the right rear sub-frame from under the fender while standing on the left side. This allows me to swing the rear tire around into my little parking spot in the backyard. A few months ago I remember hearing something crack when I lifted it and I was looking for some a hose, or a zip tie that broke; I never thought that it would be the sub-frame! I still can't believe that I could crack it just by lifting it, so I must think that the hypothesis about heat being an issue is a solid one.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

It looks like it broke right above the last mounting point. I'd say flex created by the rider's weight concentrates at that location and produces a fatigue fracture. Sort of a rdesign flaw really. I'd have it welded and ride on. Check the rest of the main frame for cracks.

Edited by BigRodney

It looks like it broke right above the last mounting point. I'd say flex created by the rider's weight concentrates at that location and produces a fatigue fracture. Sort of a design flaw really. I'd have it welded and ride on. Check the rest of the main frame for cracks  

frame