Sign in to follow this  

1990 YZ rear end measurements...

Hey everyone,

I'm building a custom street bike and I chose to use rear end parts from a 1990 YZ125. This bike will be a hard-tail so instead of the YZ swingarm, I'll be bolting everything up to .25" thick axle plates. I'm using the YZ hub, spacers, caliper mount, axle blocks, axle and nut. Just mocking everything up leaves me with lots of axle sticking out the other end. I'll either need to make new axle threads further up the axle, or machine spacers to take up the extra space. I know the "axle hole" in the swingarm is wider than .25", but I don't know how wide it is.

Would someone be able to measure the thickness of the swingarm where the axle passes through it? A picture from behind showing all the spacers/mounts, etc. would help immensely! I know it's a big ask, but you all have been really helpful in the past, and I'd appreciate any replies.

Thanks!

Dan

If any of you care to check out the build blog (there's not much too it yet...) you can at:

http://kustomgn400.blogspot.com

Probably around an inch thick, from 3/4" to 1"..

Why not assemble the axle, bolt both nuts down to an adequate amount of thread, then just use a digital meter and find that distance, then subtract the 1/4" from it..

That way, you're not just going off anybody elses measurements, but your own.

Orrr you could head down to a machine shop and have a custom axle made to the length you want, which would be the better choice overall.

I wasn't sure that the rear end parts I rec'd were the correct ones. For example, I have 2 rear hub spacers marked "R". Would I be correct in assuming that those are both "Right" side spacers? Also, I have washers that aren't sized to the axle correctly, and the axle nut has a "castle" top designed to incorporate a cotter pin to keep it from loosening... even though my axle doesn't have a counter bore to accept a cotter pin... All of which I think are not stock, or correct.

Since this is a street bike design, I'm not using the stock rear caliper or mount so a new caliper is being sourced, and a new bracket is being fabb'd. There's a lot more to it that I originally typed in my first email, but I thought I'd spare everyone the details and try to be "to the point."

All that to say, I thought a picture or a few measurements would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks for any assistance.