Sign in to follow this  

gas tank modification

just finished a fork conversion on the "chick bike". i used 1987 cr/250 forks.

i have a little issue with the lower tripple clamp that i didn't notice until fabricating the stearing stop.

the lower tripple clamp has the pinch bolts facing the tank, so my stop to stop angle is less than i expected..don't think it will be an issue on the trail, but did notice that moving the bike around in the garage takes a wider space than the original forks.

i went to the off-road.com project and confirmed that the lower tripple used on that conversion has the pinch bolts facing the opposite direction.

im planning on getting button head screws to replace the stock screws and i should get a little more angle, but here is my question.

is it possiable to heat the tank up in a zone and push the material back to gain some additional room ?

There are numerous threads on here just search it. L00k at my post about mooving rev box the guys on here sent me great pics. I am in the process of same mod So far moved box waiting for emig stem to mock up and do tank and steering stop. Drian the tank let sit out a day or two (make sure u dont make bomb) then heat with heat gun and remold to clearance.

used flat head screws in the lower tripple..they worked out well.

will move the tank material back some and this should get the lock angle back.

i have the new fork protruding 1.25 inch above the upper clamp, about as high as i can go as the '87 fork tubes are undercut between the clamps.

this raised the bike about 1" in the front.

upon my first test ride i was super happy with the plush ride and no brake dive.. but the bike didn't leave me very confident when turning. the front wheel seemed to want to push to the outside...

I have removed the preload spacer from the forks (1.25 long) and the front of the bike measures as original..

I haven't had the oppertunity to test ride again, but im hoping this corrects the turning issue (but im woried the the lowered preload may allow brake dive again)

if you change the link on the rear and raise the ride height you'll be in the money...