Sign in to follow this  

Can you help ease my mind?

I am new to 4 strokes. I picked up a really clean 07 450 and it runs great and starts very easily. I am meticulous with maintenance and will change the oil every ride as well as the air cleaner.

Here's the problem: I always read horror stories in the mx magazines about maintenance and rebuilds and how expensive and unreliable 4 strokes are. What are some real-world experiences with 450s and their reliability? I will only use he bike at mx tracks and I don't really rev that high. Help me sleep better at night or should I go back to a 2 stroke? Thanks.

If you are not extremely fast and abusive, the top end will last as long and in most cases longer than the two strokes. The bottom ends have about the same longevity. If you do what you say you are going to do, that is the way to make it last as long as possible in between rebuilds.

If you are not extremely fast and abusive, the top end will last as long and in most cases longer than the two strokes. The bottom ends have about the same longevity. If you do what you say you are going to do, that is the way to make it last as long as possible in between rebuilds.

Exactly.

Four strokes are only expensive to rebuild if you are abusive (racing) or very neglectful (un-oiled or un- sealed air filter).

Most people don't maintain there two or four strokes properly, and those are the 'horror story' posts you see here on TT, even though they claim they did.

Thanks guys. I will absolutely do the mainteneance, I actually like to do it.

Haha your going to eat those words! Honestly, its going to cost you more than a 2 stoke, but not as much as people say as long as you take very good care of it.

Keith I'm with you. I enjoy cleaning my bike, getting new parts for it, etc. Wrenching for me is relaxing. :smashpc:

i recommend cleaning the scavenge pump screen...do a search and you will find alot of valuable info on the process...

i recommend cleaning the scavenge pump screen...do a search and you will find alot of valuable info on the process...

+1. You will see some bad stuff in those pictures, and I've done both my bikes, and both were the same as the pictures that I thought looked horrible. You'll be surprised how much oil blockage there is in that screen.

i had over 250 Hours on my 02yz250f and the pervious owner had over 300 hours on the motor before my crank finally went out. and i wasent easy at all on that bike. My current 05crf250r has over 150 hours and 2 race seasons from me alone. And it still fires up first kick. I change my oil after every race day, or every 2 rides. Clean the filter after every ride. Its all i do and the 4 strokes last me super long.

Thanks guys, just cleaned my scavenge pump screen and there were some metal particles but not the silicone "worm" but it looks like my motor has had a top end done because you can see where the wrenches were on the bolts.

Haha your going to eat those words! Honestly, its going to cost you more than a 2 stoke, but not as much as people say as long as you take very good care of it.

Have you owned a 4t or are you just repeating what you've read? I've owned both and it won't cost any more to own a 4t than a 2t provided you maintain both properly.

I think a lot of the bad reputation that modern 4t's have comes from the early days of riding them when people maintained them like XR200's. Once people realized that they were full on race engines and started maintaining them properly, there seems to be much less major failures.

To the OP, if you run a high quality synthetic oil, changing the oil every ride is a complete waste of money. If you are using a standard dino oil it is probably about the correct interval.

Do yourself a favor and get an hour meter. Most people put way less actual ride time on a bike than they think. For most guys, if you were to spend 4 hours at the track I'll bet your actual ride time would be closer to 1.5 hours.

Also, keep some records. I get a notebook for each bike I own and write down what I do to the bike. If you do this, you will pay for your hour meter in the first couple months of owning the bike because you will perform maintenance when you need to and not just when you feel like it. But the biggest thing for me about having a log book is that it gives me that peace of mind you are looking for. I like knowing that my bike has been well taken care of.

Nate

Thanks Nate that is some good advice. I will be using shell rotella oil. I need to get an hour meter. I had one on my last bike and you're right about the time...it's deceiving.