Sign in to follow this  

Experienced riders......Help with bike ENVY

Dear TT,

I recently got into riding after riding little bikes when I was a kid (Never my own tho). I started with an Honda XR400 for a few rides, thought it was too heavy/too much bike at first.

I then bought a 2008 KTM 250 XCFW which I love.

But now I am already thinking about getting a Husky TE310 so I can have a plate and connect those trails up by my cabin....

It doesn't seem right to already be thinking of the "next" bike and I am usually a very content person with my gear. Is this a common issue in this sport/hobbie/world-of-kickassness?

Sincerely,

~RD~

I have 16 bikes of all types, sizes, shapes, and capabilities. 'nuff said? :smashpc:

Some consider it a disease, and want ya to see a doctor to get rid of it. Maybe they're right.

I have five bikes and I'm twenty five. Maybe its a communicable disease and I caught it.

Yup, another guilty party here. I have a streetbike and 4 dirtbikes. I plan my expenses around bikes. I have stopped eating out, limited my electricity use, and started taking cold showers so that I can have more money to spend on bikes and still put the same amount of each paycheck in the bank :smashpc:

I have 16 bikes of all types, sizes, shapes, and capabilities. 'nuff said? :smashpc:

Some consider it a disease, and want ya to see a doctor to get rid of it. Maybe they're right.

I have 9 and thought that was alot!

Ranges from 50cc to 650cc. Dual Sport, MX, HS, pit bike, flattrack. Pretty much have it all covered except long distance touring.

It's my plan to have a different bike for each type of riding. A dezert bike, a MX bike, a woodz bike, a dual sport or SM, and a Harley. So far I have 2 MX bikes. I'm not doing so well...

Be consistent

thats the key.

I tell my wife with my firearms and bikes

My Rule #1: I will have enough AFTER I bring the next one home.

Every time I bring another one home, she smiles and asks the same question, I tell her the same answer....I always reference my rule #1.

Consistency

:smashpc:

HR

I hear you...totally

only have 8 out there right now in my garage...but, im POUNDING CRAIGSLIST!

fix that issue most quick!

👍

HR

Bought my 450 new though, still havn't hit 20hrs yet.

But, there is a clean looking 01 cr500 on craigslist for 2k. hmmm :smashpc:

It's part of our personalities,it's in our blood.I'm 49 years old and just got back into mx,bought a 2005 kx 250 and I'm already doing mods to make it look more updated.Now my mind is thinking about a 1980-1983 yz 250 to restore just because that was the best part of my racing career and just the thought of showing up at the track with that bike would be a dream come true.Looking to own a maico also or bultaco or even an ole elsinore.It's what we do and who we are, and to all you young guns,you may leave this sport at some point but it will never leave you.2011 yz 250 on the back burner also.

I used to be the same way. I would keep a bike for 1-2 years and then get tired of it and move on to the next one. Finally I found my current bike, spent some time setting it up, and have kept it for over 5 years. All of the other bikes (other than the vintage rides) have since been sent down the road. I still like it as much as the first day I bought it and now wonder if I will ever sell it. IMO, bikes haven't improved enough in the last 6 years to be worth buying a new one. I've ridden some newer bikes that didn't really impress me and weren't any better for what I ride.

It's good to know there are others out there! Out of all my buds, even the ones who ride, i seem to be the only one with an addiction. I'm a Craigslist Hound! 👍 Im trying to stop though. Need to learn to be happy with what you have, and just ride it and have fun! It'd be nice to have every bike , but theres more important things out there. YOU CAN ONLY RIDE ONE AT A TIME. Its not the bike, its how you ride it, who you ride with, and having fun! :smashpc:

Your fine. When i raced mx, i ran 6 bikes a year(250 stock, mod, practice, 125 stock, mod, practice). And sometimes it would take a little longer to sell the previous years stuff off. Had 10 bikes in the garage once.

Mine fleet admittedly was limited to late model RM's. Now my dream garage would be a lot more diverse. I just want one good mx bike, a dual sport like the husky you mentioned, an xr400 is also on the want list, and lets throw in a Triumph scrambler while i am daydreaming!

So far, the only bases i have covered are mx and pit bikes though

i just bought my 125 last year and im still on craigslist everyday looking at 250 2 strokes