Sign in to follow this  

2012 pw50 cant go uphill???

I'm pretty much a noob its been over 10 years since I had a bike.... But I just got my son a 2012 pw50, the problem I'm having is when he stops on a slight uphill it won't go again... It sounds like it should go but won't... So I end up pushing it to get it going. it only has a few hours on it and I have the throttle screw out to the recommended 7mm wich helped it a little, but I feel like it should go a little better than it does.... Can anyone help me out? Any advice is appreciated... Thanks.

How much does your son weigh?

The majority of the PW riders purchase the QT gear. It's the moped gear but you can swap it out of the PW for more low-end.

Check ebay for used ones or PWonly.com

Somone will need to press your old gear out and press the new one in unless you are lucky enough to find one already in the shaft and then you can swap the gears from track to track.

Also change the main jet in the carb to a 62.

Good Luck!

Yes I still have the restrictor in the exhaust. since he just started riding, I just didn't think that was enough to stop it from going on an incline... The manual suggest loosening the throttle screw then 5aking out the restrictor, maybe it should be the other way around? I guess that will be our next step... Thanks for the reply.

I would take out the restrictor and then adjust the screw. with that washer in the exhaust, it will not allow the bike to really do anything.

While the restrictor will limit how much power the bike can make, I'm guessing the clutch isn't engaging enough to get it moving again, you'll need to back off the governing screw more. If you're doing hills, it's probably time to take it out completely, but definitely take it out more than 7mm.

As to if you want to pull the washer out or not, that's up to you.

Yes I still have the restrictor in the exhaust. since he just started riding, I just didn't think that was enough to stop it from going on an incline... The manual suggest loosening the throttle screw then 5aking out the restrictor, maybe it should be the other way around? I guess that will be our next step... Thanks for the reply.

Remove the washer(This is a must). Change clutch springs. Qt gears. And the throttle adjustment just makes it take longer to get up to speed. It will still go just as fast but it is a little slower on acceleration.

I just got finished modding my daughters pw. I had much the same problem as you do, near anemic hill climbing. Anyway, I've searched a ton of forums and this is what I did. The results are pretty amazing for this little bike.

1-Cannon Racecraft high stall clutch springs

2-1 tooth smaller primary gear (I didn't know it at the time, but QT gears way better)

3-Boyeson Reeds

4-Uni pod filter (ditch that really restrictive airbox)

5-as said before, ditch exhaust restrictor

With the above mods, the bike flat out hauls compared to what it used to. I had to go from a stock 70 main to a 100 (1200' and mid 50's temp). The jump in main was so dramatic that I thought something else was wrong. Checked extensively for air leak somewhere, bleed oil injection pump and nothing was wrong. Kept going bigger on the main until I was happy. It runs perfect now and first day out, daughter rode around for 3-4hrs at all sorts of rpm's with no fouling. I can't recommend the above more, it really helped out. Hope you get yours running how you want - E

The PW's normally run best with a 62 or 65 main. I have never heard of anyone running 100 main?

I've read that too that the pw's need the smaller mains than stock. After putting it all back together and me riding it (200lbs), there was a huge stumble with the 70 main. As with any bike, it could be rich or it could be lean. While the motor was stumbling I switched the choke on (ok enrichener) and the bikes power picked up all the way through over rev. Kept going up on main until low end through top pulled clean without the choke. It ended up on 95 main and since the temps are pretty low around here, decided one more up on main. Air screw is set confirming that pilot circuit is ok as well. I thought something must be wrong with air leak, etc. Checked for any air leaks by spraying starter fluid around reed basket, etc. No air leaks. Also I checked oil pump function and bled air out. Lastly, the bike carburates (sic?) well over all throttle openings and rev's out. The 100 main works, I dont know why but the bike sure isn't running rich.

The uni filter probably affects it somewhat. Also, the pilot jet or passages could be partially plugged.

This bike has very little torque but is very stable at speed. Do all of the upgrades like the washer/exhaust, throttle screw and jetting mods. Keep hills to minimum and it will be fine.

KTM MA 50 if you have too much spare time and need something to work on, but it will go up hills if thats your goal.