Sign in to follow this  

fornt sring rates and sag?

how do you tell if the springs are right for your weight in the front forks is there such thing as front sag?

Yes, measure the front in the same way you do the rear. Ohlins has a sag worksheet on their site.

For offroad, I use the following formula. I go with 14% of available travel in static sag ( 300mm X .14 = 42mm (+ - 2mm). Rider sag is 25% of available travel (300mm X .25 = 75mm). 25% is a long time recommended number by experianced tuners. If you go with less in front then the bike will not turn properly and you must over preload the rear to try and make the front stick in turns.

this might sound like a stupid question but do you measure on both forks or just one ? and the rider sag needs to be 75mm give or tak 10mm like the rear?

this might sound like a stupid question but do you measure on both forks or just one ? and the rider sag needs to be 75mm give or tak 10mm like the rear?

Give or take 10mm !!!!!!?????????????????? That is HUGE. NO, You should be within 3mm of the sag numbers. Depends on the travel of the fork . If your travel is 300mm (11.8") then yes, Rider sag should be about 75mm. I like to be within 2mm. Rider sag should be 25% of available travel. Static sag should be 14% of available travel. 300mm X .14 = 42mm (+-2mm).