Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Who has the most expensive bike?

I need to know who has the most expensive bike and how much it is for a speech that i'm going to give in my comm class and I cant figure it out anywhere. help is much appreciated.

JLAW. The gas tank is actually packed with the finest ganja, the street value of which is more than any factory bike.

• Like 2

mike alessi was at my local track one time and they said the 450 ktm made for him this year was over $100,000.

I need to know who has the most expensive bike and how much it is for a speech that i'm going to give in my comm class and I cant figure it out anywhere. help is much appreciated.

to give you a short and sweet answer factory bikes range from $60-150,000

It's hard to put a dollar figure on a pro's bike.

Take for example Reed's Honda (before factory Honda helped him out). They detailed his bike and you could build the same thing for about 40k minus the suspension stuff which was custom for him. So you can't really put a price on that.

All the factory bikes have tons of custom stuff that you can't "buy" per se.

There also comes the countless hours of R&D these bikes have. 100's of hours put into chasis, suspension, and motor set-up.

Then also the extra stuff they do to them for races. Ex. Honda puts new motors in the bikes every moto. You know that aint cheap.

Emig said that Kawisaki spends 15 thousand dollars to lighten the bike 10 pounds. ( I say to hell with that, I'll just put my rider on a diet :smashpc: )

I would say 40-50 thousand in parts alone if I had to put a number on it.

JLAW. The gas tank is actually packed with the finest ganja, the street value of which is more than any factory bike.

HA, that is so FUNNY!!!:smashpc: You just may have the BEST post of all time. But on to something more serious. That $100,000.00 price has to have some major R&D money in it. I would like to know the price of just parts to turn a show room bike into a full on factor racer. Also we would have to buy a practice bike, because who wants to blow 100Gs in practice.

Twang

I once read that the front forks are up in the 30-40k range. To the rest us, we would think- ***, and they feel too stiff....

Most expensive bike? Any MotoGP bike!

Dude your in the wrong section of this forum. :smashpc:

It's hard to put a dollar figure on a pro's bike.

Take for example Reed's Honda (before factory Honda helped him out). They detailed his bike and you could build the same thing for about 40k minus the suspension stuff which was custom for him. So you can't really put a price on that.

All the factory bikes have tons of custom stuff that you can't "buy" per se.

There also comes the countless hours of R&D these bikes have. 100's of hours put into chasis, suspension, and motor set-up.

Then also the extra stuff they do to them for races. Ex. Honda puts new motors in the bikes every moto. You know that aint cheap.

Emig said that Kawisaki spends 15 thousand dollars to lighten the bike 10 pounds. ( I say to hell with that, I'll just put my rider on a diet :smashpc: )

I would say 40-50 thousand in parts alone if I had to put a number on it.

Not true on new motor every MOTO

Ryan Dungee's Suzuki.

A small gas tank and bad chain cost him two championships. :smashpc:

👍:busted:

Ryan Dungee's Suzuki.

A small gas tank and bad chain cost him two championship$$$. :smashpc:

LOL! Thats better than my joke. True though, that bike could have cost him 2 milli.

Dude your in the wrong section of this forum. :smashpc:

It will be almost as impossible to find details on actual costs. You will just get best guesses, like asking the cost of a new CIA spy plane.

In Europe, the FIM does not have (or previously didn't have) a "Production rule". There are true "works bikes" that are hand made and sometimes don't resemble what is available to the public.

In the USA, we have a "Production rule". The frames and engine cases must be based on what is sold to the public. That won't stop a factory from spending huge sums of money on every part on the bike. Hundreds of dollars in labor can go into making a part lighter or simple inspection of every part. Gears can get cryogenic treatment. It all adds up. Plus, the cost of developing that bike. Mechanics don't work for free.

Traditionally the most expensive bikes have been Hondas when Honda really wants to win a championship. They will go all out and spend money like a US politician. With Red Bull sponsoring the KTM effort, the cost of those KTM's could be sky high. (Look at Red Bull and F1 racing. Compared to F1, MX is like sponsoring a go-kart.)

You probably have the best chance of finding out what a PC Kawasaki KX250F costs as they probably will build you one if you have the cash. Not including spare parts and special items to fit your riding style.

To lower costs, the AMA has the "Production rule", which you can Google to get the current status, and the "Claiming rule", which seems to be unused in motocross / supercross.

This is a little late, but if you go to any of the supercross or motocross races. All the teams in the lites will tell you exactly what they have in their bike. To make things even better you can buy the exact same thing right from the team. For example when supercross was held in toronto, I stopped by the PC kawi trailer and spoke to some of the mechanics and ended up buying Dean Wilsons fork setup. Exact same as he would use, I took into consideration that his weight and riding style are almost the same as me. Cost about $7500 us but i'd say it was well worth it.

I'd say the P/C and Joe Gibs bikes are likely at the top. But yes, all of the top riders bikes are around the $100,000 mark. Production rule is an absolute joke......that has spiraled out of control in pro racing due to the handicapped class structure. It's quite unfair for roughly 30 of the top 40 guys who small budget satellite teams, or doing it alone budget. As much as i love m/x. The way it's heading is beginning to turn me off.