Sign in to follow this  

Motocross James stewart really is the fastest ?

It's been said that James Stewart wins or crashes. People who have worked for James are quoted as saying " He wants a motorcycle to do things it cant "

So which is it ? Is James just a "bonsai rider" most of the time, out of control trying to win. Or could something else be happening that's unthinkable. Is James Stewart so fast that he's pushing current technology to it's limit and then sometimes crashing as a result ? His still current bike engineer has said, James wants to go through the whoops in 4th wide open, but the set up on a bike to do that doesn't work on other areas of a track. He should be able too I feel I've let him down. Maybe it's technology and not James ?

I am not a fan of JS, but that guy was the outright fastest motocrosser that ever walked on this earth.

If Stewart can't ride the bike within ITS ability then he is not the fastest. He rode like a loose cannon this year and couldn't control the bike within its means.

I think he has it in his head that he is still the 'Fastest man on the planet' and pushes too far to try and keep the stigma. He thinks he is head and shoulders above the rest but the rest have caught up and passed him, making him push too hard to try and stay ahead.

I think he was the fastest but now is not.

That's a completely ridiculous outlook! EVERY person that rides dirtbikes has the PHYSICAL ABILITY to twist the throttle wide open in 4th gear in front of the whoops, but, like Bubba, they will crash. The difference between him and any consistent racer is that they realize what a bike can and cannot handle, and they ride accordingly. All of the top racers can and would like to pin it all the time, but they understand that it would cause them to crash...a lot. They instead choose a huge difference in consistency over a small increase in speed.

That's a completely ridiculous outlook! EVERY person that rides dirtbikes has the PHYSICAL ABILITY to twist the throttle wide open in 4th gear in front of the whoops, but, like Bubba, they will crash. The difference between him and any consistent racer is that they realize what a bike can and cannot handle, and they ride accordingly. All of the top racers can and would like to pin it all the time, but they understand that it would cause them to crash...a lot. They instead choose a huge difference in consistency over a small increase in speed.

exactly!

Heck, I can hold a bike wide open in 4th gear in the meanest set of SX whoops until it crashes. Does that make me the fastest man on a dirtbike and my only limitation is the technology?

No :smashpc:

Edited by RacerXr
Clarification
  • Like 1

It's been said that James Stewart wins or crashes. People who have worked for James are quoted as saying " He wants a motorcycle to do things it cant "

So which is it ? Is James just a "bonsai rider" most of the time, out of control trying to win. Or could something else be happening that's unthinkable. Is James Stewart so fast that he's pushing current technology to it's limit and then sometimes crashing as a result ? His still current bike engineer has said, James wants to go through the whoops in 4th wide open, but the set up on a bike to do that doesn't work on other areas of a track. He should be able too I feel I've let him down. Maybe it's technology and not James ?

if they built the tech. needed to do what JS wants it to , then all the top guys could do what JS tries to do , as it is the others are smart enough to know the limits

He tried it and used Reedy as a tuff block, if it wasn't for Reed being in front of him he would have been really messed up.

What they are saying is they can set the bike up to go through the whoops wide open in 4th but to do that the handling or control of the bike suffers in other areas. So while he's blazing fast in the whoops because of stiff suspension the bike handles like crap in the corners etc.

They cannot make it work to his liking or speed in every area of the track so there's got to a trade off somewhere.

Villiopoto, Carmichael, etc. have all said he's the fastest guy out there. Reed is probably the only rider who hasn't said that.

The problem with Stewart is not that he is not fast. He is fast!!! But, he is not the only fast rider out there. There are one, two, three others out there that can probably match his speed, should they desire. The problem with Stewart is, he is a sprinter in a marathon race. Those other fast guys have figured out that you have to be there in every race to win the real prize, the championship. The only guy they remember is the Champion.

All one has to do is look at the blueprint Villopoto used to win the 2011 SX and MX championships. They are long series, so you go out like a distance runner. Early on, hang around, gauge the competition. Let the sprinters burn themselves out. Don't let the leaders get out of sight. The race will not be won in the beginning. It can only be lost. In middle, pick it up a little and position yourself for the sprint. In the last third of the race, pick it up even more. As you head into the last lap, put the hammer down and show them who's boss.

It takes speed and discipline to be a champion. Refresh my memory. When was the last time Stewart was a Champion? He certainly had the opportunity to prove himself in the 2011 SX series. All he proved was, he may or may not be the fastest man on the planet, but he is clearly not the best racer on the planet. We know who that is, until proven otherwise.

He could be the fastest, but to be the best takes more than that. The best would be the rider with the most wins or titles, which takes a compromise of speed, smarts, and some luck.

Last year he had the speed, and some luck (both Dungey and Villapoto missed a main last year), but didn't ride within his limit, and crashed too often. (smarts)

If he can find the compromise of riding aggressively, but at the same time riding within his limit, he'll have a chance at another title or more.

it's been said that james stewart wins or crashes. People who have worked for james are quoted as saying " he wants a motorcycle to do things it cant "

so which is it ? Is james just a "bonsai rider" most of the time, out of control trying to win. Or could something else be happening that's unthinkable. Is james stewart so fast that he's pushing current technology to it's limit and then sometimes crashing as a result ? His still current bike engineer has said, james wants to go through the whoops in 4th wide open, but the set up on a bike to do that doesn't work on other areas of a track. He should be able too i feel i've let him down. Maybe it's technology and not james ?

damn you. Damn you to hell you copy and paster!

I do believe JS is the fastest man but, he's like a 3000 hp dragster on a road race course.....

Even being the fastest man, he still wont win races unless he FINISHES!

What good is it having a 30/40 sec lead over second only to be carted off before the checkers fall.

JS has to realize he just needs to beat 2nd place by a split sec, not lap him.:smashpc:

All one has to do is look at the blueprint Villopoto used to win the 2011 SX and MX championships.

:smashpc:

Villopoto really showed some maturity this year. 👍

• Like 1

damn you. Damn you to hell you copy and paster!

Agreed can't believe people keep responding to these baiting-type posts where the same OP says nothing and displays no opinion, only for the sheep to goober back and forth:bonk:!

Postbot postbot suckers.

hum... another bot post by locomxer... crazy! and... get this.. another topic to stir the pot!

And yet tdoshi, you keep coming to these threads like metal to a magnet.......................ok, so I like to read them as well..👍:smashpc:

hum... another bot post by locomxer... crazy! and... get this.. another topic to stir the pot!

Stirring the pot is fun, that's half the reason some of us come here. :smashpc:

It fills the time between more important stuff.

JS has a lot of talent and is FAST!

I would say that JS sometimes rode at 110% and crashed. If he rode at 95%, he would have been watching Reed and RC roost away. Riding at 100% to keep up or ahead of RC/CR/RD/RV for 20 laps on a course that is changing every lap isn't easy. Dialing it down a bit would help JS.

Same with Villapoto and Dungey. I see RV willing to take more risk and go faster, but have more crashes too.