Sign in to follow this  

'98 KX250 output shaft oil seal

hi, this is my first post here, bought a 1998 kx250 on wednesday and started going over everything (the parts list is growing) that need's replacing/attention. After leaning the bike against my wall in my garage i noticed a patch of trans fluid on the ground. turns out the output shaft seal is gone and my question is does anybody know if this can be replaced without splitting the cases? looking at it i think it can be done but any definate answer would be appreciated! This is my first bike in 10 years after getting rid of my '88 cr125 and i cant wait to get back into riding again. Thanks!

Yes, you can change it without splitting the cases. I usually take a small srewdriver, push it behind the metal part of the seal and pry it out. It takes a little time to get it loose, but it isn't very hard.

great news! other than that the engine seems good, aside from a repair on the outer casing where it looks like it's tried to eat a chain in the past, probably explains the damaged shaft seal. Next big thing is the rear wheel, took me a job to get the axle out and it was bone dry, turns out the hub is damaged slightly and the bearing seal had been stuck on with the dreaded silicone, also one of the lugs is missing for one of rear disc bolts so i might aswell source a whole new wheel. still almost as much fun as riding the thing lol :smashpc:

anyone got any tips on popping it out? i can't get any decent leverage with a screwdriver and i dont want to get rough with it. thanks

Stick a screwdriver between the seal and the output shaft. Slightly tap the srcrewdriver with a hammer to spin the seal around in the case. Once it breaks free, it will usually start spinning. Then, just slowly work it out by prying. Thats how I've always done it. It isn't hard, it just takes a little time.

be careful with small hooks, slipped up my arm today and red water came out :smashpc: this is proving tricky, i might have to make some kind of puller or slide hammer. all i have is hand tools in my garage though i'll need to borrow workshop. it's so tempting to get a chisel to it!

yeah i'll borrow one from my dad, he's in tunisia putting a ship engine back together right now so i have to wait :smashpc: there's other things i can be doing though, like the boring task of finding the best price on all the other spares i need 👍

that is a bargain, nice find. silverline make some semi-decent cheap tooling, ideal for taking on ships if you drop one in the bilge you don't mind kissing it goodbye. i've known people move gearboxes to get snap-on stuff back lol