Sign in to follow this  

HELP! grey trans oil.. clutch issue?

Just started to drain my motor and trans oil and this is what started to come out of my trans drain bolt!!!

IMAG0047.jpg

Does this mean my clutch is going?

Should I be worried?

Can I change the oil and keep riding?

There is roughly 7-9 hours on this oil right now

Can anyone help me?

change the oil more frequently, but it looks milky which would mean a water leak. check your radiator fluid level.

The oils is milky because coolant got into the oil. The oil and water gets frothed up and it looks like a milkshake.

No, you shouldn't be worried, but you may have to fix something.

You may have gotten oil in there crossing a stream, or maybe pressure washing. You also may have a leaking water pump seal.

You can do a search "milky oil", or "water in oil" and learn more. do an advaced search and look in the CRF450R specific forum.

I am sure some of the knowledgable folks will have heelpful information.

I did search for "grey oil" and that's where I found the clutch issue.

I do pressure wash my bike at least two-three times a week.

I went for a crazy trail ride yesterday and ended up knocking my bike on its side like 4-5 times... Could that have anything to do with this?

just happened to my 07 450.it was the little axle rod that the impeller is attached to.after about a million revolutions the oil seals leave a little groove which lets a little coolant into your tranny.at least its separate from engine oil.good desighn there!replace that little shaft &seal.good to go.change oil alot at first to flush it out.&leave oil cap off if its parked in a dry non dusty place so it can air out.this is just what worked for me

water pump.

also there is an oring behind the right side case water pump area that needs replaced

If any of these are the are the actual problem.. how do I go about fixing the weep hole or water pump issue

If you're pushing coolant from the water pump into the transmission, than your weep hole must be blocked.

100% correct. But that would make a chocolate milkshake looking oil, not grey. Grey is aluminum from the clutch plates and its fairlyt normal if you slip the clutch a lot and dont change the oil very often. 9 hours is kind of a lot.

First thing Id do would be to pull the clutch plates and check the aluminum driven plates for wear. Personally I like the aluminum plates more than steel ones. They bite better, but they do wear and produce that sludgy paste when over worked. Id bet if you measured the fibers they are well in spec, but the aluminum ones will be dished out a little and possibly discolored too.

As far as the sludgey crap goes, you can flush the trans with automatic trans oil. Basically run it with the junk clutch plates and change it a couple times and 90% of that crap will come out of there. At that point you can change out the worn driven plates and put fresh oil in the trans and you should be done.

Had the same issue with my 06. I switched to a higher quality oil and started changing more often. No longer happens :smashpc: