Sign in to follow this  

09 300XC vs xc-w

Thinking about switching from my 03 450 MXC to an 09 300xc. My concern is,is the xc the bike for me or am I better off w/the xc-w. I only ride desert . Occasionally Kennedy meadows, I race a handful of D37 desert races a year. I haven't ridden either bike I just like the idea of going back to a 2 stroke.For those of you who own these bikes how are you using them and what are your thoughts.THANKS

I have an XC-W and am coming off an MXC. Sure I'll agree that the transmission has some huge gaps, but I'm in awe with this tranny. It's fantastic. Much better than the MXC. A 1st that is much lower........ perfect for those straight uphill climbs, and a 5th that is MUCH taller. I can hit 60 mph without screaming that baby! :smashpc:

Stock suspension on the XC will be better for desert. If you are changing the suspension that is irrelevant. The next concern is the transmission (wide ratio -vs- narrow ratio). My preference is the XC with the narrow ratio. There are no gaps and gear selection is forgiving. The XC transmission works fine for the desert riding I do in western Co. 60mph+ is no problem for extended sprints. The only place I look for taller gearing is connecting roads. In the tight, technical stuff the 300 is magic. Even the XC is geared low enough to crawl and the low end power of the 300 is smooth and easy to handle. I came off a 450 (KX) before moving to the 300. For me, the 450 was a better bike for fast desert riding. It is better in the whoops, and easier to ride fast when I am tired and ride lazy. I ride more technical single track now days and the 300 is a much better bike in that environment. I am quite happy I switched to the 300 for the riding I do but I miss the 450 when hammering long whoop sections.

CoKTM