Sign in to follow this  

Spooge Spooge Spooge...

Still scratching my head over the ongoing spooge production machine known as my KDX 200.

Jetted 40/152, not fouling plugs, doesn't look like it's smoking out of the ordinary, not using any gearcase oil that I can tell (over 150 miles, if it was, it should be dropping in the sight glass by now I would think), starts and runs great, very snappy throttle response.. and a steady stream of spooge.

Going to repack the silencer again, but it started drooling in 3-4 rides after I packed it last time.

Top end is nearly new, as are the reeds, motor is about as heavily modded as you can get with a KDX, can't figure it out. Maybe just going to be the nature of the beast?

What kind of riding do you do? lots of tight technical trails or blasting down a fireroad? I know my bike likes to puke oil whenever its ran in more technical sections. It doesn't run bad or anything there's just a lot of oil coming out the exhaust. Whenever its run in open areas where the throttle is just about always pinned it doesn't have this problem.

Mostly technical. Lotta tight, rocky stuff, second and third gear.

Afraid to lean it out much more, looking at the jetting guide, already leaner than most.

May just be something I have to live with.

I know most will probably disagree with me, but what kind of premix do you run and what ratio? I ride with a guy that ran yamalube in his YZ250 for ever. Constantly fouling plugs and a lot of drool out the silencer. He then switched to Amsoil at 44:1 and his problems stopped. I'm not saying that by switching to amsoil will solve your problems or that amsoil is a better oil than other, just saying it might be worth to take a look at. I have a '00 KDX200 and all the RB mods and such to. I ride a lot of singletrack here in Wa. Really tight and banging your handlebars on the trees type of stuff. I run Mobil 1 synthetic premix at 44:1. My jetting is 40 PJ, 150 MJ, aiscrew at about 1 3/4 out, not sure on the slide as I bought a whole new carb that Ron Black at RB Designs sells. I hardly ever get any drool out of silencer, a little damp and that's it. Are you running the BR8ES spark plug? Maybe try a BR7ES and see if that works.

Little Jeff

Edited by Little Jeff

motul 710 at 40to1 or amsoil interceptor at 40to1.flash point of oil makes a difference when bush riding.make sure not to over oil your airfilter.i,ve seen way too many that are just soaked.

I know most will probably disagree with me, but what kind of premix do you run and what ratio? I ride with a guy that ran yamalube in his YZ250 for ever. Constantly fouling plugs and a lot of drool out the silencer. He then switched to Amsoil at 40:1 and his problems stopped. I'm not saying that by switching to amsoil will solve your problems or that amsoil is a better oil than other, just saying it might be worth to take a look at. I have a '00 KDX200 and all the RB mods and such to. I ride a lot of singletrack here in Wa. Really tight and banging your handlebars on the trees type of stuff. I run Mobil 1 synthetic premix at 44:1. My jetting is 40 PJ, 150 MJ, aiscrew at about 1 3/4 out, not sure on the slide as I bought a whole new carb that Ron Black at RB Designs sells. I hardly ever get any drool out of silencer, a little damp and that's it. Are you running the BR8ES spark plug? Maybe try a BR7ES and see if that works.

Little Jeff

Amsoil Interceptor at 32:1. Airscrew is out 1 turn. When I got the carb back from RB I set it as he recommended to do (adjust to throttle response, not "highest idle RPM"), and that's where it ended up at. Using a BR8ES plug, same one I put in it when I put the motor together back in mid summer.

See how it runs on a 150 main.

Tried a 150 main before the rebuild, seemed to be really flat on anything close to the upper end. Revved out much better with the 152.

Lately, on most rides, I seldom get past 1/2 throttle for more than a quick burst anyway. Always seem to end up in the hacked out backwoods very soon after leaving the parking lot.

Tried a 150 main before the rebuild, seemed to be really flat on anything close to the upper end. Revved out much better with the 152.

Lately, on most rides, I seldom get past 1/2 throttle for more than a quick burst anyway. Always seem to end up in the hacked out backwoods very soon after leaving the parking lot.

which silencer do you have

Thinking I may just have to live with it since everything is good except for the spooging.

If work cooperates, I'll likely be riding it in the first round of our winter HS series on 10-9. Be just the opposite of what I'm riding in now, with a lot of full throttle action. Be interesting to see how it runs there, versus grinding through the tight, twistie, ledge rock and pea gravel of the local use area.

I would try changing your premix ratio to 40:1 or 44:1. Trust me, there will be enough premix to lubricate everything (crank, piston, etc...) That's what my buddy did. He went from 32:1 on yamalube and now does 44:1 w/amsoil interceptor. Worked like a champ.

• Like 1

you need to run pre mix with a lower flash temp. Some oil have a very high flash temp and are great for running hot and very hard...other oil will burn at a lower temp and are much much better at lower temperatures ( 2nd & 3rd gear technical trails).

higher flash temp oil are great for like MX where your are running wot all the time....not for trail riding at low rpms and 1/2 throttle.

I have given up fighting the spooge on my 04 KDX 200. RB head and carb, PC Platinum 2 pipe, V-Force reeds, stock silencer. I have the exact same jetting as you: 40/152. I put a radiator clamp on the joint between the pipe and silencer and just wipe the spooge off with some simple green after each ride. I also run Amsoil pre-mix.

The bike runs great, excellent throttle response, no fouled plugs. Seems to just be the way these KDX's are.

Seems to just be the way these KDX's are.

YZ250s too. If using Amsoil interceptor you're using a low flash point oil. Recongnize that 32:1 is to protect a motor that's being used as cut and run. Most tight singletrack don't provide that so 44:1 should be plenty of oil. Try a tank just to see.

Maxima SuperM also has a low flash point. Have heard JD jet kits also help.

Do you happen to know how much (if any) ethanol is in the fuel you buy? I have found that higher ethanol content certainly does not help with spooge. You're right though, the KDX always seems to spooge, even when jetted lean.

Some advice on your airscrew though, I'd go looking for the "second sweet spot", usually around 2 1/2 turns out as I understand it. After the RB mods, there should be a second spot on the airscrew as you go further out where throttle response improves. Might help you out in a couple of ways...

Besides the Amsoil Interceptor and Maxima SuperM, what other oils have a lower flash point?

Thanks, Stutch

you need to run pre mix with a lower flash temp. Some oil have a very high flash temp and are great for running hot and very hard...other oil will burn at a lower temp and are much much better at lower temperatures ( 2nd & 3rd gear technical trails).

higher flash temp oil are great for like MX where your are running wot all the time....not for trail riding at low rpms and 1/2 throttle.

I agree with trying different premix and the flash points are very different. Am having good luck with lucas at the moment in a CR running off the pipe a lot.

Thanks everyone. I'll go back to mixing it 40:1, which is what I'd been mixing before. Went to 32:1 with the new top end running in the summer heat. Cooling off now and the piston should be well ran in, so i'll try that route.

Pdiddy.. I put a piece of automotive water line with 2 hose clamps on the pipe/silencer joint to get it to stop pouring out there.

Juliend.. I'm using a pump 94 octane that is touted to be alchohol free. And I'll do some more experimenting with the air screw. RB had it set at 7/8 turn out, I backed out to an even 1 turn and left it because it sounded so sharp there. Never thought to go on out with it to see what happened. Curious now.

But in the end, may just have to live with a little drool.

Thanks again everybody for the input. Always good to get some new ideas to help jog the thought process.:smashpc: