Sign in to follow this  

Help with 2005 KX250

Gents I don't know what else to do.... My bike pings. Here are the things I've done to try and fix it.

2005 KX250

1. Set the air gap

2. Richen the mixture

3. Race gas/octane booster with pump gas

4. Sent the head away to get the squish band set

5. Retarded the timing

After the head mod the bike ran well for about two months, no pinging. With the current jetting and timing the bike feels loaded up and only runs good when it's reved out. The richer jetting helps but the pinging is still there. I got this bike for a steal, it's in great shape. I would like to spend some time and money getting it set up for me but I'm tired of the motor problems....what next? Help!

I didn't retard my timing. I do fine without adding any octane booster. Play with your jetting a little more. Mine seemed like the jetting was spot on till I played with it a little and I finally got it to go away.

What jetting is in there, what needle too? IDK why people have so many problems with the 05-07 bikes, mine runs perfect. All stock, 45/160/2nd pos. Premium pump, 32:1.

What jetting is in there, what needle too? IDK why people have so many problems with the 05-07 bikes, mine runs perfect. All stock, 45/160/2nd pos. Premium pump, 32:1.

Mine was a little rich from the factory. I run 45/158/1st pos. at 32:1 in premium. But it's never pinged.

I've messed with the jetting so much already....guess I'll fatten up the main and see what happens. This thing just sucks.....kawasuckie....

I've messed with the jetting so much already....guess I'll fatten up the main and see what happens. This thing just sucks.....kawasuckie....

Come on zooki just cause the bike is getting the best of you doesn't mean you have to go calling it names.

name calling makes me feel better:p I guess it's all part of the love affair....stupid dirt bikes.

I thought all fuels sold at gas stations had ethanol blended in.... I'll try it if I can find it.

Centex here in WA state sells non ethanol and so do a number of small gas stations. Ethanol is a pain in ass to jet for and IMO responsibile for more burn downs then the gas companies will ever admit to when it comes to high performance 2 stroke engines.

I am getting an odd noise on the topend on my 06 kx250. It almost a rattle or chirp that happens at wide open, is this the ping you guys are talking about? I literally bought the bike this morning. Running 40:1 premix, not sure about the jetting. And it was about 75* today

Ryno625 sounds like it.....currently mine pings only while under a load at WOT while slipping the clutch....gonna try a fatter main today.

Straight race gas, crazy rich jetting for experimentation ( 48-170- bottom clip on needle ). Dam thing still pinged at wfo. Only thing that helped ( still pings a little) my 05 was setting air gap to .037. I just learned to live with it. Still love the dam bike though.

OK pulled the carb apart, I have a 168 main in it with the needle set at full rich, everything else is factory. Going to try 172+ and see what happens.

It makes no sense to me that the bike ran great then all of a sudden the pinging returns. I jetted my 05 RM250 when I first got it and haven't touched it since, never had any detonation issues with old yeller....oh well.

My experimental jetting( see post above) was causing the bike too blow spooge all over the place and it ran like crap and it still pinged. Check air gap like Jeekinz recommends. Mine is at .037